Fleece Hat with ear flaps- DIY TUTORIAL

Brrr! It’s been chilly here in North Central Florida. We’ve had several nights now where we’ve had to cover plants or bring some indoors. Frost and freezing nights are a little more than what we are used to here especially when my kids want to spend all day outside. I whipped up an easy pattern and tutorial for these super warm and comfy fleece hats with ear flaps. I think it will come just in time for a lot of you who live in waaaay colder climates than us!

The hat is fully reversible and really easy to sew up. If you are a beginner definitely think about giving this project a try! I also enjoy working with fleece because the raw edges don’t fray and it’s very forgiving.

If you are looking for fleece fabric click HERE.

A few tips for sewing with fleece:
– Check your machine’s manual to see if you can loosen up the presser foot tension {not the top thread tension- two totally different things}.  The bulky layers of fleece can be difficult to keep even if the presser foot is biting down on your fabric too tight.

– Use a walking foot on your machine if you have one. It always makes my sewing life easier. If you don’t have one click HERE to find a compatible one for your sewing machine.

Side view of the fleece hat. Super soft & comfy!

Click to download the FREE fleece hat e-pattern (PDF) in two sizes- Adult and Child.  {Patterns are one size fits most.}

Note: When printing your patterns make sure your printing settings are set to 100% or the original size. Do NOT select the “fit to page” option.  You want to make sure they print out at the proper scale and I’ve included a little 1″ x 1″ square to help you check that you printed it out correctly.

Gotta keep my babies warm while we harvest veggies from the garden!
Now I’ll leave you with the step-by-step video tutorial where I will also share with you…. my new haircut!! Let me know what you think of it.  I’m trying to start 2013 with a fresh new look. Hope you enjoy!
Click HERE to watch the video.
Happy New Year, everybody!

83 Responses to Fleece Hat with ear flaps- DIY TUTORIAL

1. Katy January 1, 2013 at 9:15 am #

Love the pattern! Will definately be making this hat this week for my grandsons. Will have to check out the fleece fabric on sale at my local fabric shoppe.
    Love the new hair cut! A new year with a new and fresh look. Reminds me I need a hair cut too! Lol..Honestly, you look fab.

• ines December 7, 2014 at 10:38 am #

Great tutorial. Just what I have been looking for. Your hair looks great. Thanks again

• Peggy December 28, 2014 at 7:16 pm #

Thanks for the cute pattern. I just bought enough fleece to make 30 hats for the homeless and was looking for something cute, simple and quick. It’s my goal to get them done before New Year’s Eve so I have a lot to do!

2. Anonymous January 1, 2013 at 10:44 am #

Great pattern and tutorital. Love working with fleece because it doesn’t ravel. I may make a matching scarf. Your hair looks great. Great length for you. Happy New Year to you and your family.

3. Mosaic Magpie January 1, 2013 at 11:23 am #

The hats are almost as cute as the models!
    Deb

4. Anonymous January 1, 2013 at 9:18 pm #

Very cool hats! Can´t wait to make one!! Thanks for the tutorial!

5. kim kruse - - - the sassy crafter January 2, 2013 at 12:50 pm #

Cute pattern! Wish I had seen it before I headed to Idaho for the holidays. I could’ve whipped up a cute hat for my little one using some of the felted wool sweaters I have lying around the house. Oh well — I’ll file it away for next year. Love your new haircut!

6. Sewing Susi January 3, 2013 at 5:39 pm #

oh yes! I am going to go through my stash of fleece. I have 6 grandchildren. One is 3 months old so I will have to make an adjustment for his little head. Thank you. You are very good.

7. Kelly Dannemann January 4, 2013 at 1:57 pm #

OMG LOVE LOVE LOVE the new dew, you look younger cute and sassy!!. The Tutorial is great.

8. Sarah's Fingers January 21, 2013 at 5:10 am #

Thanks for the tutorial,It seems easy,I hope it is!^^
    I had the same problem with my hair,and I love yours!:) Mine are always thin…:p
    Thanks again,and i’m going to like your page on FB! See ya!:)

9. Béa de Belgique January 21, 2013 at 5:15 am #

Merci pour les patrons, c’est super mignons.

10. kruti khatri April 2, 2013 at 11:53 pm #

I just made one for my little boy and it turned out super cute. Thank you so much for such nice tutorial.

11. Anonymous May 4, 2013 at 9:21 am #

gonna do this. you do a very good tutorial and your instructions are so easy to follow.
    i just wonder why you dont have your own tv show?

12. Anonymous July 6, 2013 at 9:23 pm #

Great pattern and tutorial~! It was absolutely perfect for a costume of mine, thank you for making the pattern available!
    (And, your hair looks friggin’ fab.)

13. Anonymous September 24, 2013 at 12:52 pm #

So great tutorial!! Thanks a lot!

14. Anonymous September 25, 2013 at 9:06 am #

You are amazing at teaching sewing to beginners! Thanks so much!

15. Blossom October 27, 2013 at 6:14 pm #

I was looking all over the Internet for a fleece hat pattern for my 15 and 10 year olds. This is perfect! Stylish enough for older kids and teens. We went to Joann’s today, so they could pick out fleece for their hats. I’m going to get started on them tomorrow. Thanks so much for the tutorial! Very cute hair, too, by the way!

• Blossom October 27, 2013 at 6:37 pm #

P.S. Since fleece is stretchy, did you need to use a zigzag or stretch stitch to sew the hats?

16. Jami October 29, 2013 at 9:47 pm #

Awesome tutorial!!!! Thanks so much 😀

17. ferrelli November 17, 2013 at 3:39 pm #

I just finished a hat for my grandson. I put a Mohawk strip on the center seam and clipped the fabric every 1/4 inch to give it the fun fringed look. This tutorial was simple and fabulous. Thanks for sharing! By the way, I pinned your tutorial on Pinterest so you might get lots of hits! Thanks again!

18. Brooke Seeger December 9, 2013 at 4:08 am #

This is a fantastic tutorial!! Thank you so much! I loved it and was able to put together the exact hat I had hoped for my daughter. Thanks again!

19. Lara December 9, 2013 at 12:40 pm #

Vanessa, I just found this. I love it! I’m making one for each of my 3 kids. You are awesome!

20. Flyboy December 10, 2013 at 9:07 am #

My wife is a quilter, and is helping a friend complete 10 quilts for Christmas presents. That produces somewhat of a scheduling problem, if I want to finish another project, This was my second sewing project. The first was a pair of pajama pants. .No, actually, the hat was the third… I got a shirt that was my XL size in the body, but had 32 in. sleeves, and my arms are 35-36 in. (NO, my knuckles don’t drag on the ground!) That made a great short-sleeved shirt!
    I had to enlarge the basic hat pattern about 5%…unenlarged, it is a bit tight.. It is the best winter hat I have!
    Great tutorial; so far, I have made 3, and have enough fleece for another.
    Maybe I’ll make one with ear flaps, for standing in the cold and snow, photographing guys in fast cars sliding around on a motocross track.
    What will they think of next? Men with sewing machines…do we call ourselves Seamsters.?
    One day, when experience is sufficient, I’d like to make myself a hooded fleece robe, but am having trouble finding a pattern in my size.

• Anonymous December 12, 2013 at 7:53 am #

Seamsters! Love it! Good for you!!!!

21. Anonymous December 16, 2013 at 5:47 pm #

Thank you so much for this tutorial. I adapted the pattern to add ears, eyes and a mane of hair for little pony hats. They are adorable and I know I will have one happy grandchild on Christmas morning. Your tutorial is so easy to follow, and great that if one gets a bit stuck on what to do next you can just call it up and watch it again. I am looking forward to more tutes from you. 🙂

22. J Mizforx December 18, 2013 at 11:43 pm #

Pattern was perfect in the download. Watched the tutorial twice to make sure I knew the process. Put it together in no time at all. What a great hat for our grandson to find on Christmas Day. Thanks for every thing! You are a sweetie!

23. Em December 21, 2013 at 3:08 pm #

I made two of these today for my nieces, and they look great. I added pom-poms using the lining fleece to finish them off

24. Recycling Booklady December 23, 2013 at 10:10 am #

I’m a school librarian and had been looking for a way to make one of these hats so I could add the details for it to be a Pete the Cat hat to go along with that series of picture books when I read them to my young students! THANK YOU for sharing both the pattern and the excellent tutorial!

25. Liszt January 5, 2014 at 2:10 pm #

Hello Vanessa,

Happy new year !

I am french and I am a sewing beginner (I began on september 2013 with no knowledges at all). I discovered your blog at the end of december and I wanted to make your fleece hat with ear flaps. Although I do not have the sewing vocabulary in english (neither in french :P), I understand really well your explanations because they were really clear and I appreciated the step-by-step video where each step is well described.

With your advices, I bought a walking foot and it changed my life. I tried once to use fleece, and it was a disaster. Today is my first success with fleece, and I am proud of it. I will give this hat to my husband and make lots of them for me and my family.

Just would like to thank you a lot 🙂

See you on your blog and on other tutorials 🙂

Stephanie

26. Anonymous January 16, 2014 at 10:15 pm #

Since coming across your tutorial and pattern for the earflap hat, I have made three, using polar fleece for the lining and felted wool for the outside. They turned out so well! It’s very generous of you to offer your well articulated demonstration and pattern to the WORLD. You are helping to keep a lot of people “rockin” in very cool hats and cozy warm as well. Thank you so much!

27. Anonymous January 25, 2014 at 1:54 pm #

Wow, glad I found your site! You are a great teacher.

28. Anonymous February 7, 2014 at 8:56 pm #

I am making one of these for my wife tonight. Actually, I have it all cut out and just checking back to the video to make sure I remembered the directions 🙂
    Ready to sew it all together now.

Donnie

29. Hedyeh Alizadeh February 11, 2014 at 2:29 am #

I love the way you teach and your pattern is awesome!
    thanks a looooooooooooooooootttttttt
    Hedy

30. Sparrow December 14, 2014 at 8:27 pm #

Just made this hat, super easy and fun. Great tutorial.

31. Elaine December 16, 2014 at 4:39 pm #

I can’t download this pattern, ugh, and I want to make some for Christmas, HELP

32. Gracie December 19, 2014 at 1:49 pm #

I found you when I was looking for inspiration to make a ram costume for my son’s nativity play at church! So glad I found you! Thank you for the inspiration and your great tutorials! Love your new haircut, by the way!

33. Nancy January 7, 2015 at 9:57 am #

Thanks for the pattern and the nice tutorial, it’s great!
    Greetings from Belgium.

34. Gwen January 9, 2015 at 5:28 pm #

I just finished making the fleece hat with ear flaps for my 9 yr old daughter – its so cute and she loves it! She wouldn’t wear her Hanna Anderson hat anymore bc a 5th grade boy made fun of it on the bus, so I thought she might wear one if I made it. I had been looking for an easy fleece hat pattern with flaps and found your site. Your tutorial was very clear and concise. I used some fleece leftovers I received from a fellow quilt guild member; one was white with flowwers and the other light green with white polka dots (which I used for the inside). My daughter wanted pom-poms, so I made them with strips of the green/polka dot fleece and added them to the ear flaps and top of the hat, making it not exactly reversible : ) I made a simple scarf to match. I don’t have a facebook account but would love to send you a photo; let me know if you have a public e-mail address and I’ll send it there. Thanks!

35. Pia January 14, 2015 at 10:57 am #

Thank you very much! I love my hat in boiled wool.

36. Peggy Parker January 15, 2015 at 12:04 pm #

I just wanted to let you know that I have now made about 45 of these hats for my “If you need one, take one!” project for the homeless in my community. They are so easy to make, so incredibly cute and I can get 3 complete hats out of 1.25 yards of fleece! Thank you so much for your generosity in sharing your pattern!

37. Diana February 14, 2015 at 11:53 pm #

Thank you so much for the awesome video tutorial and precise instructions on the fleece hat.
    I have made two for my grandsons. Wow! I am excited because it was easy and I will be making more.

38. Anne Catherine March 2, 2015 at 7:47 am #

Thank you so much for this great pattern!! We live in the South too, and I thought we’d be ok with my son growing out of his winter hat because it’s usually getting warmer about now; it seems like that’s not the case this year. So I’ve been scouring stores trying to find a winter hat and there is nothing!! This came in handy at the perfect time, and I had a blast making it. I put a ball on top for extra baby cuteness. Thanks so much again!

39. Sherry Hill March 4, 2015 at 1:02 pm #

I am hoping it will post my pic like this. I love this pattern and your tutorial! I’m planning on making a ton of these for Operation Christmas Child shoeboxes that go all over the world for needy children. 🙂

40. Mirian May 7, 2015 at 8:14 pm #

Hola , me encanto el gorro reversible que cubre las orejas y me encantaría poder hacerlo. Necesito el molde con los talles p niños y adultos. Me los podrás mandar por email por favor. Muchas gracias y felicitaciones por las hermosas cosas que haces

41. ant May 31, 2015 at 5:24 am #

you are amazing! great pattern and such an easy to follow tutorial, probably one of the best i’ve seen!! thank you!!!

42. Karla October 22, 2015 at 4:45 pm #

Im so grateful for this video, I have been so scared to do a hat, nervous wreck..I may just try now.

43. Grace November 2, 2015 at 9:36 am #

how long does it take for the pattern to get to my email? It’s not in my spam folder 🙁

• Diana November 18, 2015 at 4:51 am #

I got it immediately….
      🙁

44. Diana November 18, 2015 at 4:49 am #

I made it! Wow! Thank you, Vanessa! You’re right, it’s super easy and comfy! My baby boy loves it!
    I used a green fleece blanket (both sides) and added 2 green and white ears, which I transformed into eyes, to make a frog!
    Thank you so much!!!!!

45. JoAnn December 4, 2015 at 8:17 am #

Thank you so much!

46. Luci December 8, 2015 at 9:51 am #

thank you for the tutorial. While not able to drive for awhile I was looking for something useful to do, so was able to make 35 of these hats to be distributed to the homeless in our community.,and of course a few to some wonderful grandchildren.

47. madamlorna December 8, 2015 at 8:56 pm #

this is a wonderful tutorial!!! so easy… I made one last year for my grand daughter and made my own pattern and it took me forrrrrrrrever!!
    this it the easiest pattern ever and quick I think it will be a breeze for any one to follow the tutorial!
    thank you so, so, much Vanessa you are great!

48. GailB January 6, 2016 at 1:49 pm #

Great tutorial. I’m making one tonight!

49. Leslie N. January 19, 2016 at 9:17 pm #

Thank you so much! I just made three for my kiddos to wear to school tomorrow. It is super cold and I wanted to make sure they had something that covered their ears! So happy!

Thanks again!

Fellow Gemini 😉

Leslie

50. Amy January 21, 2016 at 1:15 pm #

Is there a general head circumference size for the child verses the adult pattern?
    Thanks!

• Luci January 21, 2016 at 4:29 pm #

used adult as given (100%) for grandkids (ages 9-15) increased pattern to 110% on ones I made for homeless and adult family HTH Luci

51. Kim January 26, 2016 at 10:26 pm #

Thank you for the excellent tutorial. So easy to follow! I am making Pokemon themed hats for my boy- they are so excited. Would you consider posting a tutorial on sewing fleece mittens to match? You are terrific and your youtube channel is my new crafting obsession!

52. Niki January 29, 2016 at 7:43 am #

This download does not appear to work anymore ?

• Profile photo of Vanessa Vargas Wilson
      Vanessa Vargas Wilson January 29, 2016 at 10:03 am #

It works fine. If your web browser doesn’t let you access it try a different one. I use a system called Robora to distribute the free PDF patterns but some browsers block it for some reason.

53. Jen May 12, 2016 at 7:39 pm #

I used this for an afternoon’s project of making a Darth Vader helmet/mask for my son. It worked perfectly! I modified the ear flaps to look like the back “collar” part of Darth Vader’s Helmet (it continues around the entire back of the head as a straight panel, and is sewn back on each side of the face so that it lays properly), trimmed the front of the hat to come to a point, and then sewed on and embroidered a front panel for Darth Vader’s face. Having the easy to use hat measurements and sewing instructions really simplified the process. Although it doesn’t look much like your fleece hat anymore, it provided the perfect base for the project.

54. mahrokh May 31, 2016 at 1:22 pm #

thanks it was wonderful,i made one and designed it with a dog toy.

55. Jesica June 8, 2016 at 12:10 am #

Oh please… the patterns aren’t available… could you please help me?

56. Anne June 23, 2016 at 1:18 pm #

Brilliant tutorial! Made one this afternoon and am so pleased with myself!! Really a novice with regards to sewing but this was very clear and quite simple.

57. Michaell hendersonn September 9, 2016 at 1:11 am #

Thanks for sharing this great post …

Really loved this post as it helped me in knitting a Hat with ear flaps for my daughter and she really liked it. 🙂

58. Pam October 29, 2016 at 11:33 pm #

Thanks much for the great pattern and tutorial! Super simple and looks awesome! Used superhero character fleece and the boys loved them!

59. joanna martin November 24, 2016 at 10:36 pm #

I was unable to find the PDF for the pattern on the page? Can you send it to me or tell me how to get it. this is for the Fleece child’s hat.

60. Sarah December 7, 2016 at 1:39 am #

What a GREAT tutorial! After trying one other sub-par tutorial, I found yours. The video was so detailed, you showed and described every step really well, and the hat I just made for my little guy came out looking awesome! Thank you 🙂

61. Sharon December 18, 2016 at 3:07 pm #

This is fabulous! I am getting an embroidery machine for Christmas and can’t wait to make some of these and try out my machine with names or monograms on the hats! THANKS!!

62. BobbiA December 21, 2016 at 10:59 am #

This is awesome!! thank you so much for sharing this! just made one in Pink and Black and love it! Plan to make one for each family member for Christmas now they are so quick to put together!

63. EstherT January 1, 2017 at 7:00 pm #

just found this. great tutorial! hoping to use it for some stash busting!

64. Denise January 4, 2017 at 7:10 pm #

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I just recently started searching for a fleece hat pattern with ear flaps to make for the homeless in my community, you are an answer to prayer! I didn’t want to take the time to create a pattern, I appreciate you have allowed us to use your pattern. Happy New Year and many blessings to you!

65. Barb January 12, 2017 at 2:21 pm #

Thanks for sharing this pattern! I found some remnants of fleece in my stash so these will be great.

66. EstherT January 30, 2017 at 12:44 pm #

my friends loved my hat so i sent them the link to your page! thank you so much for this pattern. I even made some child sized ones to gift to a friend’s littles.

1. Reversible Fleece Beanie Hat - DIY Tutorial & Free Pattern - Crafty Gemini - December 1, 2014

[…] fleece beanie hat and create a tutorial for you!  It’s pretty much the same as my other fleece hat tutorial but this one doesn’t have the ear flaps. For that tutorial you can click HERE.    […]

2. Children’s Beauty and the Beast Costumes | Mommy on the Loose - April 9, 2015

[…] the head piece.  I’d never made anything like that before!  Luckily I came across this awesome tutorial for fleece hats.  (This tutorial really is great, I’ve since used it to make regular ol’ fleece hats for my […]

3. Reversible Fleece Cap | Aaseevana - April 16, 2015

[…] out to drop my son to school. Using Vanessa William’s Craftygemini Tutorials, I stitched this fabulous reversible fleece cap for […]

4. Jersey & T-Shirt Hat Projects for kids | DIY Recycled - April 24, 2015

[…] Image: source […]

5. Reversible Fleece Cap and some banter…. | Aaseevana - July 22, 2015

6. Sneaky Peek | Walking Whimsy - October 15, 2015

[…] wasn’t a whole lot of rhyme or reason to it. I took a general fleece ear flap hat pattern (this one) and then constructed it; all the while paying no attention to the tutorial. I just put it together […]

7. Lotta Jansdotter is my best friend* + [GIVEAWAY] | Crimson Tate :: Modern Quilter - December 9, 2015

[…] pattern for this cute hat is by the crazy talented Crafty Gemini.  I used Echino knit jacquard instead of fleece and bam.  It worked beautifully. The […]

8. Christmas Already? – FarmGirl Fer - May 18, 2016

[…] searching Pinterest for a free pattern I tried a couple that I didn’t like before I found this one from Crafty […]