DIY Fabric Easter Basket- Video Tutorial

diy fabric easter basket video tutorial by crafty gemini

Whoa! I’ve been gone for a good long while, eh? Things have been crazy since my husband quit his job to work for me.  I had 2 work trips and our whole house got hit with the flu. So, if you’ve been wondering where I’ve been, that’s the answer. Now that we are all back in good health I’m ready to launch a new video tutorial! It’s been a while, I know. It’s a lot to handle when you’re a one woman show.

With Easter around the corner I thought you would enjoy a fun and easy beginner sewing project that is sure to make you the star of the party!  This is scrap friendly and would be great for a child’s easter basket, a gift basket or even a cute organizer for your sewing room or bathroom.

11070095_905300766167986_2442858612537330643_o

Check out the easter baskets Quilt Club member, Diane L. made! These are just too cute!

easter_basket_tutorial4

I like to use mine to store my sewing supplies. They are so handy and you can never have too many beautiful fabrics to look at in your workspace, right?!

easter-Basket_tutorial3

I’m sure you will find a million and one uses for these fun fabric boxes/baskets!

The fabrics I used in this video tutorial are from Caravelle Arcade by Jennifer Paganelli for FreeSpirit Fabrics.  You can check out her blog here. She designs some beautiful fabrics!

The finished basket I teach you how to make in this video tutorial measures roughly 7″ x 7″ x 5″.

Heads up! If you want to make the cute little boxes you see in my pictures you can create them the exact same way as in the video except you start off with two squares of fabric that measure 10″ x 10″ and for your corner measurements use only 2″. Leave off the handle and that’s it! I love to store my wonder clips in my little box.  You can make these in all different sizes by playing around with your dimensions. So, have fun!

Supplies you’ll need for this project:

• One square of outer fabric that measures 18″ x 18″.

• One piece of batting slightly larger than your outer fabric.

• One square of lining fabric that measures 18″ x 18″.

• One square of lightweight fusible interfacing that measures 18″ x 18″

Wonder Clips (highly recommend)

Sulky KK 2000 (temporary spray adhesive)

Disappearing ink/fabric safe marker

• Basic sewing supplies: rotary cutter + mat, pins, ironing board + iron, scissors, etc.

{FYI- The cordless iron I use in the video tutorial is this one. I got it for Christmas and loooove it! The sewing machine I used is this one. Watch the video review I did of it here.}

Now I’ll leave you with the video tutorial! Hope you enjoy it and get a chance to whip some up this week either for yourself or as Easter baskets for your loved ones. Happy sewing!

54 Responses to DIY Fabric Easter Basket- Video Tutorial

1. Roberta March 30, 2015 at 8:48 am #

Here is the origination of the pattern. http://seaside-stitches.blogspot.fr/2013/03/fabric-box-tutorial.html

• Nicole March 30, 2015 at 10:18 am #

I thought it looked familiar 😉
      These are nice though…

• Gerrie L April 5, 2015 at 1:11 am #

I looked at that site. It’s not the “origination”. That blogger herself said a friend gave her the template and instructions for it, but the friend never told her where it was from. She tried to find out but couldn’t. And that site has no video tutorial. So, are you implying that Vanessa took the pattern from there and claimed she invented it? It sounds like it. There is “nothing new under the sun”, as the expression goes. Everything started somewhere else:)

2. Pat Armbrister March 30, 2015 at 8:57 am #

AWESOME as always!!!

3. Gwen March 30, 2015 at 9:43 am #

Very cute baskets! I see lots of baskets in my future. Thanks again for your tutorials!

4. Irene March 30, 2015 at 10:04 am #

Thanks for this great tutorial.

5. Yvonne Dunmore March 30, 2015 at 10:23 am #

Great job. I want to try this for my granddaughter. If I get it done I will post pictures.

6. Bee March 30, 2015 at 10:44 am #

Great tutorial and easy to follow each step. Thanks so much for sharing your ideas.

7. Phyllis Bates March 30, 2015 at 11:04 am #

I’ve seen the pattern to make baskets like these for sale but was going to try to figure out how to do it myself – you’ve saved me the time and trouble of doing that. I will definitely be making a lot of these cute baskets for gifts (and some for myself!).

8. Mary Kowalski March 30, 2015 at 1:02 pm #

Thanks for posting this just in time to whip up some for the grandkids. I made the box without handles for my sister for one of her birthday gifts (and a zip pouch, too) and she loves it.

9. B A Lillis March 30, 2015 at 2:40 pm #

I love the little box/basket – However, I would like to download a pattern or something for later – Your download “Links” do nothing but install a “downloader program” to my computer along with a dozen or more pieces of advertising spam and more toolbars to fill up my page – !!! NOT GOOD …

Sorry, I don’t need spam !!! I won’t be back nor will I suggest your site to anyone !!

PS – Now I have to spend the time removing all these spam links from my control panel.

• Profile photo of Vanessa Vargas Wilson
      Vanessa Vargas Wilson March 30, 2015 at 2:58 pm #

Not sure what download links and spam installers you are referring to. But I do not offer any download links directly from my website. The only way to receive some of the PDF patterns that I do offer for free is to enter your email address on the page provided and then have the file emailed directly to you. You never download directly from my website. So, I’m not sure where you are accessing those links from. My specialty is in video instruction so, I don’t normally offer downloadable instructions with my free video tutorials.

• beautiful0916 April 1, 2015 at 7:45 am #

Dear Vanessa,

I normally don’t comment on anything! However that really made me mad!!! She is obviously unskilled and doesn’t have a clue as to how your tutorials, or site work!!

That was so mean (B. A. LILLIS) If she doesn’t visit you, it’s her loss. You are an amazing teacher. I’ve learned so much from you, as so many thousands have.

That SNARKY COMMENT, was totally uncalled for, when she was the one who made the error!!!

You make learning easy!

Please don’t listen to people who are not worth listening too.

I thank you. Keep doing what you do 🙂

• barbara July 22, 2015 at 5:52 pm #

I agree. It is there lose. You have wonderful tutorials. I really do not understand some people. I think they wake up in the morning and going looking around on site just to see what they can complain about. WOW. Please help us all.

Keep up the good work and love every thing you do.
          Barbara

• Martha January 16, 2016 at 3:11 pm #

Thank you Vanessa for your instruction tutorials!! I love your website and all your tutorials. They are very helpful. I am sorry for the negative comments you have received. I have never had a problem with any spam etc. Please continue instructing. It is sad that people can be so unhappy and just pass that on to others. God bless!!

• Pat March 11, 2016 at 5:42 pm #

Love your tutorials!! I haven’t had any problems here with spam or anything of that nature! I can’t wait to see more tutorials! Super easy to understand! Thank you for sharing with us!

10. Helen @ Till We Quilt Again March 31, 2015 at 7:27 am #

Just wanted to send a quick note to mention how nice it was to meet you in Austin. I have enjoyed watching you grow and evolve. Plus it is nice to have met you in person (feels more personal). I wanted to wish you all the best with your husband joining the Gemini team! I still smile when I am reminiscing about that trip—and you mentioning the live stock arrival coming that weekend. Sending all my Best!

11. carolyn cook March 31, 2015 at 8:46 am #

You are so awesome.I found you on you tube.A while back.You explain every thing so good.I had back surgery and two knee replacement.And was not able to sew.But nowI can Thank GOD.You and your family are pretty too.Keep up the good work

12. Marketa Frycova March 31, 2015 at 4:03 pm #

Hi Vanessa, I’d like to ask you to take part in my research that I’m doing for my Master’s thesis. It’s about what influences the relationship between YouTube Stars and their subscribers. There are only 7 questions and it shouldn’t take you more than 10 minutes.
    This is the link to the research form: http://goo.gl/forms/tTwUZJ2Ev7 but if you like, I can send you the questions to your e-mail.
    Your help will be much appreciated…
    Marketa

13. Jini March 31, 2015 at 6:12 pm #

Your tutorials are the best! Thank you

14. Kathy March 31, 2015 at 8:31 pm #

Hi, I am just learning how to sew and I am learning a lot from all your videos. I love this one especially it make good organizing totes. I do have a question, where did you get your little cordless iron. I have limited space in my sewing room, and I would like to make a iron pad and buy a small iron that way I can leave my ironing board in my Laundry Room
    Great job and thanks for sharing.

15. Nora April 1, 2015 at 11:59 pm #

Girl, you just plain rock! Thank you so much.

16. Grace April 3, 2015 at 8:12 am #

Love these baskets! Perfect for Easter or any gift giving occasion, as well as for storage. You always make it look so easy, Vanessa! Can you please tell me what size you cut the fabric for the smaller basket?
    Happy Easter to you and your family!

• Mary Kowalski April 3, 2015 at 8:42 am #

I think the basket you are talking about started with 10″ squares and had a 2″ triangle on the corners. Vanessa will probably chime in eventually. Have you jointed her quilt club? It is such a blast and she gives us lots of chances to communicate. There is also a Crafty Gemini Crafters page on Facebook where all of us give each other tips and answers to questions like yours. Hope that helps.

17. Martina Neumann April 4, 2015 at 7:20 am #

WOW…I LOVE IT YOU DESCRIBE IT SO EASY THANK YOU DEAR VANESSA

18. Vickie April 6, 2015 at 12:00 am #

Hi Vanessa
    I loved the baskets and can’t wait to make some. I was wondering what iron you wren using in the video.
    Is it a travel iron? Also it looked like you were using it without the cord. I am looking for a small iron to use next to my sewing machine as you were doing. Is it possible to give the name of the iron and where I might purchase one?

• Profile photo of Vanessa Vargas Wilson
      Vanessa Vargas Wilson April 6, 2015 at 12:06 am #

Hi Vickie! Glad you enjoyed the tutorial. The iron is not actually a travel iron but I guess it could be! It is a cordless iron that has a point on both ends. It was a Christmas gift to myself and I love it so far! This is where I got it from: http://amzn.to/1F3LMF0 Hope that helps!

• Mary Kowalski April 6, 2015 at 12:14 am #

Have you checked out the Crafty Gemini Crafters on Facebook? A lot of the products that Vanessa uses are in a file that is on that page, up at the top somewhere. Hope you can find it.

19. Peggy Terzian April 6, 2015 at 1:08 pm #

I also made Easter baskets (without handles) this weekend and took a picture! I did it a little differently, in that I quilted all layers together and then bound the edges like a mini quilt before sewing into the basket shape. Thanks so much for the tutorial. First time here, but I’ll be back!

• Donna July 1, 2015 at 9:12 pm #

Thank you for the extra little twist on this wonderful video! I believe I will try this.

20. Heather April 8, 2015 at 1:58 pm #

thank you for taking the time to make these video tutorials. I am a visual learner. And this far out does the original tutorial by leaps and bounds. I don’t like many of the sewing tutorials out there because they lack step by step pictures and just assume people that sew will understand. Pictures are worth a thousand words and videos even more.

again, thank you!
    Heather

21. Jackie P April 8, 2015 at 11:36 pm #

Thank you for such a great video. I can’t wait to try one of the baskets.

22. carolyn cook April 9, 2015 at 12:21 pm #

Hi Vanessa,It’s me again Carolyn Cook.You brought tears to my eyes.To hear your story is unbelievable.If you look at you on the videos.It seems like your life has always been great.You have such a drive for life.You love your kids ,you love your husband.I ADORE you so much.The story was happy,sad,joyful,and uplifting.One thing you still need to do.Is think about writing a book.You can do it,because.y’all did.

23. carolyn cook April 9, 2015 at 12:44 pm #

24. Patrycja June 1, 2015 at 6:22 am #

Hi:)
    This weekend I made your basket:) and it was an awesome gift for birthday:) Thank you so much for makind sewing/quilting so easy:) Greetings from Poland:)

25. Carolyn Knight June 20, 2015 at 11:01 pm #

Love this

26. Miki August 4, 2015 at 8:00 am #

Wonderful tutorial, I made one tonight and it was so easy, thank you. In my classroom we use bucket filling, (the idea comes from the book ‘How Full is Your Bucket for Children’) and I wanted a cute ‘bucket’ for the students to put their bucket fillers in (bucket fillers are complements that they received from other adults on campus: substitute teacher, aides, administrator, bus driver, etc.). They have their own little tin buckets that they get to fill up, as I notice them demonstrating positive qualities. Needless to say, I made your smaller size basket and I am going to use it next week when school starts, thanks again!

27. ELLA PREVETTE August 8, 2015 at 1:16 am #

Vanessa, WOW!! thought your tutorial about the round reversible basket was great..then I found this one…WOW!! I just have to make this one as well. These will make great gifts! Anymore ideas coming?

28. Deb Swann September 1, 2015 at 9:10 pm #

Love your tutorials. You do wonderful on showing us step by step process! So easy to follow! If I wanted do some larger/smaller baskets . . . How do you figure the size of the comers to sew? Is there a graph to follow with corner size per basket size?

29. giovanna September 5, 2015 at 11:52 am #

bellissimi lavori, brava ciao.

30. rosa campos November 21, 2015 at 10:38 am #

Thank you , I love your tutorial , you show us step by step. Am a beginner to sewing. I made 10 box’s for my grandson birthday party.

31. Valorie December 4, 2015 at 3:42 am #

This is so cute. I’m picking up my new sewing machine tomorrow. I’m so excited. My machine will do all sorts of neat things that I can use to embellish the basket/box with. Thank you so much. I live in Oregon near the coast. Do you ever get out this way?

32. Valorie Davis December 25, 2015 at 4:33 am #

I came across your site by accident. It was a very happy accident. I love your site. Your videos are very clear and easy to follow. Looking forward to more projects. Thank you!

33. Retha March 4, 2016 at 12:24 pm #

LOVE it …guess what I’m doing this weekend!!! Making baskets! Love your tutorials! You take the fear out of trying something new!

34. Helen Eidt March 8, 2016 at 4:55 pm #

Love this little basket. So pretty and easy to make. Your video is clear and easy to follow. I have lots of Jennifer Pagganelli’s fabrics and will try to make a few of these baskets for Easter!

35. Donna March 13, 2016 at 10:38 pm #

Great video Vanessa. You are an excellent instructor. Direct and to the point. Enjoyed this very much.

36. Judy Hobbs June 13, 2016 at 3:50 pm #

This is the first time I have seen your tutorials. I love the idea of the fabric box. My mind is racing with ways that I might present them. I have several elderly friends who now reside in nursing homes. Some have quilted in their lifetime and I think they would appreciate a
    Fabic box for Christmas, filled with lotions, handkerchiefs, and anything that would be helpful to them. Thank you for this tutorial it was very well explained. I enjoyed watching and look forward to more. I have sewed myself for over fifty years and I must say that you have inspired me today. Thanks again and my God bless you and your family

1. March 2015 | Quilt Around the Clock - April 13, 2015

[…] And because I was on a roll I found more fabric baskets to make. These ones I found on Crafty Gemini’s blog by Vanessa Wilson in her video tutorial.   […]

2. Easter Baskets for Jonathan and Esther - April 16, 2015

[…] Jonathan and Esther weren't here for Easter, there wasn't any rush in getting these made. DIY Fabric Easter Basket- Video Tutorial – Crafty Gemini It really was just as easy as she made it look. I saw she had a really small box (same idea […]

3. A One Hour Basket in, er, Two Days | Lemon & Olive - April 30, 2015

[…] month the swap was some kind of a sewing room organizer.  Vanessa did a tutorial for these baskets, which are quick and easy, but I decided to jump on the one-hour basket bandwagon that’s all […]

4. Linky Thursday | StacySews - March 10, 2016

[…] of Easter there’s still plenty of time to sew up a special fabric basket this holiday. Try this version (with a video), a pretty linen and lace, or this basketorganizer (alright, it’s a sewing […]