Quilted Oven Mitt- Video Tutorial

quilted oven mitt tutorial

Here’s another quick and easy gift idea! Make these quilted oven mitts for the host of your next holiday party or stuff one in a loved one’s stocking. They are easy to make and a fun beginner project. Oven mitts are also practical gifts that I think anyone who cooks would love to receive.  These mitts are fully lined and include a little loop for hanging if you need it. In my free video tutorial I walk you through every single step and I’m confident that after you watch my video tutorial you will want to make a ton of these for gifts and to keep for yourself. There are so many great fabrics to choose from for a project like this that you could really jazz it up, make it feminine or masculine, etc.

For this project you will need:

• A pattern/template. You can draw your own, trace around an old mitt or you can download the FREE oven mitt PDF pattern I created for you right HERE.

• Cotton fabric for the outside, lining and the hanging loop. (2 fat quarters would be plenty.)

• Insulated batting. I used this kind.

• Basic sewing supplies & sewing machine.

I did some random quilting lines on mine and I really like the way it looks. Feel free to do whatever type of quilting you prefer on yours.

If you give this project a try let me know and post pics to my Facebook page. I’d love to see the different fabrics you use!

quilted oven mitts video tutorial

Now I’ll leave you with the step-by-step video tutorial below. Happy sewing!

CLICK HERE TO WATCH THE VIDEO TUTORIAL!

{p.s.- Remember you’ll need a template for your mitt so grab my FREE PDF pattern for it HERE.}

, , , , ,

44 Responses to Quilted Oven Mitt- Video Tutorial

1. Patty Ojeda December 9, 2014 at 8:47 am #

Thank you! Great tutorial!

2. Cristina December 9, 2014 at 9:35 am #

Love it! You rock!

3. Carol December 9, 2014 at 9:45 am #

great tutorial! Thanks for the pattern!

4. Terri Ann December 9, 2014 at 9:57 am #

Great tutorial. I’ve seen your video tutorials a few times and I have to say that they are continuing to improve every time you make them.

5. nellie1951 December 9, 2014 at 11:02 am #

another great tutorial oven mitts and potholder are a must in our kitchen ,you make your tutorial so easy to follow makes me what to start my projects right away ,keep posting tutorials Vanessa

6. Loretta December 9, 2014 at 11:05 am #

you can also make bath mitts using the same pattern and terry cloth material. Love this!

7. ayesha December 9, 2014 at 11:30 am #

why did you removed the video..???

8. Julia Baker December 9, 2014 at 11:41 am #

Great tutorial, watched it once, downloaded pdf cut out material, but when I came back video has been removed 🙁

9. Clare December 9, 2014 at 11:45 am #

Hi Vanessa – I have tried emailing you too. It says the video for the oven Mitt has been removed by the user? Thanks for any help? Love your stuff. Clare xx

10. ramona December 9, 2014 at 12:10 pm #

can’t find the tutorial. says it has been removed.

11. kybluegrassgirl December 9, 2014 at 1:56 pm #

Perfect idea for my scrap fabrics —- look forward to watching it!

12. nicole December 9, 2014 at 1:57 pm #

I’m making an apron for my mom for Christmas. Now I’m going to have to make a matching oven mitt!! Thanks! 🙂

13. Bea Ramirez December 9, 2014 at 9:51 pm #

The video for the mittens freezes when you are about to take the fabric to the machine to sew the mitten. I’ve tried twice to see it but it still freezes.

14. Evita December 10, 2014 at 12:37 pm #

Me encanta, a diferencia de otros tus proyectos siempre tratan de ocultar las costuras y se ven mucho más bonitos 🙂 (Y)

15. great Vanissa..Thankyou. December 11, 2014 at 7:34 pm #

Thanks Vanessa..i wish i could be like you.
    I will do this project.
    Teach me how you lost weight.
    God bless you.

16. Patty December 13, 2014 at 12:59 pm #

Thank you so much for sharing your talents. Wonderful of you! Merry Chistmas to you and your Family.

17. Jen December 16, 2014 at 8:06 am #

Vanessa, you are awesome! I love your videos (I subscribe to your channel). I have made about 20 of the envelope pillow covers- what a great tutorial!! Going to try the oven mitts next. Someday when I have time I’m going to sit all day and watch all your vids! Thanks so much for your great projects and great directions! And your kids are adorable! Have a wonderful Christmas!!

18. Kathy December 16, 2014 at 8:21 am #

I love the oven mitts and what a great way to use fat quarters! I’ve got some Christmassy fabric in my stash so still have time to whip up a couple of gifts.Thanks for the tutorial. 🙂

19. Jacque (aka Snoodles) December 17, 2014 at 11:41 am #

Thanks so much for the pattern, the tutorial, and the inspiring examples! You are so generous with your talents. I’m off to make some mitts!

20. Andrea December 23, 2014 at 9:08 pm #

I’m making hot pads with the insul-bright you linked to but I’m having a ton of problems with my quilt sandwich shifting. Any ideas on how to keep it from shifting to much? I’ve tried pinning the sandwich but then the top layer just stretches. I’m using pieced cotton on the top and solid cotton on the bottom.

• Profile photo of Vanessa Vargas Wilson
      Vanessa Vargas Wilson December 26, 2014 at 7:10 pm #

You may need to use a walking foot on your machine or release the presser foot tension on your machine. If the presser foot is biting down too hard on your fabric it will cause the fabric to move as it goes through the machine.

• Andrea December 28, 2014 at 6:54 pm #

A walking foot! I’ve been a self taught sewing person for a decade and even made a couple of quilts without ever breaking out my walking foot…. it’s still in the plastic. I’m feeling all kinds of embarrassed. Thank you! A whole new world of high loft has opened to me.

21. Ginger December 28, 2014 at 1:23 pm #

Just made my first pot holder. It was so easy. Love your tutorials….they are so easy to follow. I am a beginner at sewing and really enjoy following your tutorials. Thanks so much.

22. sandy January 24, 2015 at 3:12 pm #

Hi Vanessa,

Just like your followers I love your videos but most of all I admire your natural enthusiasm( which also happens to be contagious). I would like to make a recommendation that perhaps the mittens can be a little longer for those who burn their forearms when reaching far back into the oven. I will be making mine longer for this reason and if and when I do I will try to send you a picture. Best of luck in all your endeavors. Sandy

23. Sandi January 25, 2015 at 2:14 am #

i made some hot pads and oven mitts using insulbrite but for some reason when you pick up something hot the heat comes right through. it’s like picking it up with just a piece of cloth. what did i do wrong???

• Diane January 28, 2015 at 12:28 pm #

I had the same problem with my oven mitts. Is there a special kind of fabric for the lining that we need to use so that it won’t burn your hands? Thanks

• christine May 15, 2015 at 8:34 pm #

You may have had the insulbright turned the wrong way so its reflecting towards your hands and not away

• Annie June 20, 2015 at 5:11 am #

You need to use a layer of cotton batting as well. Indecently there is no right or wrong side to inulbrite. Read the packaging. Hope this helps.

24. Jackie January 28, 2015 at 9:38 pm #

Great tutorial,You make it look so easy.Will have to try this.Thank you very much.

25. Bonnie Gonzalez February 3, 2015 at 4:38 pm #

I just made oven mitt with a pot turn out beautiful was so easy to follow but couldn’t figure out how to add a picture….please advise

26. Annie June 20, 2015 at 5:06 am #

I like you tutorial for the oven MIT’s but there is just one problem, you use the insul brite alone but the package tells you to use at least one layer of cotton backing to absorb condensation. I also think it makes it extra heat resistant and secure.

27. Lori Jo July 7, 2015 at 5:38 pm #

Hi Vanessa,
    I enjoy your tutorials so much!!! Y our a great inspiration. For the oven mitt what is the seam allowance when stitching up the mitt?
    God bless!Lori Jo

28. Susan November 16, 2015 at 7:54 pm #

Great tutorials enjoy watching very well done. Thank you great job

29. Girli November 27, 2015 at 3:31 am #

Thanks for the detailed tutorial I will be making some this weekend..

30. rosa January 7, 2016 at 3:52 pm #

Thank you. I made it for my daughter for Christmas. She love them.

31. rosa January 7, 2016 at 3:54 pm #

Thank you . I made it for my daughter for Christmas. She love it. Easy to Follow your instructions

32. Melissa Greenfield January 18, 2016 at 12:45 pm #

Love how simple and easy you explain all of your projects. Made the oven mitt today. Thank you!

33. CPA February 17, 2016 at 9:21 am #

Love your tutorial! Your directions were very clear and I liked your explanations 🙂

34. marta coromina June 22, 2016 at 10:15 pm #

I try to download the mitten template, but for some reason it just don’t download

35. Shawn October 18, 2016 at 6:32 pm #

How do I share pictures? Thank you for your instructions and patterns!

1. Tutorial: Quilted Oven Mitt plus free pattern – Quilting - December 14, 2014

[…] to Quilted Oven Mitt Video Tutorial at Crafty […]

2. Lastest Custom Made Silicone Bracelets News - Custom Rubber Bracelets - February 18, 2015

[…] Sleek Silicone Oven Mitt for Kitchen Flexibility The goal: Find the ideal oven mitt for hoisting trays of gluten-free muffins and dropping lobsters into scalding water. We spoke to […]

3. 14 Homemade Gift Ideas - November 23, 2015

[…] There are more beautiful fabrics that exist in the world than I will ever have time to use. I think an oven mitt would be a chance to show off a really cool fabric that could be a fun kitchen accent that any friend or family member would be excited to receive. {Tutorial from the Crafty Gemini} […]