Cupcake Mug Rug Tutorial

If you are active in the online crafting world you have probably seen mug rugs pop up just about everywhere in all different sizes and styles.  I’ve had some requests for a tutorial so here it is!

A mug rug is basically a mix between a placemat and a coaster.  It sits on your desk and holds a mug with your favorite drink. You can also lay a snack right on it so it doesn’t dirty your desk or get crumbs all over your work.  They are mini quilts so they can be machine washed and dried.

I love making mug rugs because they make great little gifts and can be whipped up in no time at all!

I designed this cupcake applique just for this tutorial but you can feel free to use it any other project you’d like as well.  This would look cute on little girl’s clothes, a backpack or tote bag…..  I’d love to hear your ideas on other projects you plan to embellish with this cupcake. Leave me a comment below!

Click here to download the cupcake applique template sheet:

*Note: When you print the template sheet out set your printer settings to “Fit to Page” so it can be the same size as the cupcake I used in the tutorial*
Here is the full video tute. Enjoy!
Fabrics used in this project:
– 1 rectangle of white fabric at 6″ x 7.5″ – Designer Solids in Winter White, Free Spirit Fabrics: http://bit.ly/IalQpj
– 1 rectangle of blue plaid fabric 7″ x 7.5″- Sugar Hill by Tanya Whelan for Free Spirit fabrics: http://bit.ly/I6lrHR
– 1 rectangle of blue plaid from 12.5″ x 7.5″- Sugar Hill by Tanya Whelan for Free Spirit fabrics: http://bit.ly/I6lrHR
– assorted fabric scraps for cupcake applique: http://bit.ly/I9m8Bm and http://bit.ly/JjXAVl
– Pellon Wonder Under: http://amzn.to/KKAwOU
– Pellon Fusible Fleece: http://amzn.to/L0i43d
A big thanks to my sponsors- Pellon and Free Spirit fabrics for providing the products used to make this project and tutorial! Check out their sites!
p.s.- Remember to check out my new online sewing course at Craftsy.com.  Use this link for 50% off the course price for Crafty Gemini followers: 50% discount off Sew Little: Nursery Design
Click below to watch the course preview!

34 Responses to Cupcake Mug Rug Tutorial

1. beaquilter April 23, 2012 at 3:39 pm #

cute mug rug, I made 4 last spring for the last day of school for my kids teachers, I didn’t add a “stupid” teacher mug- figured they’d all have enough of those, but I did add some candy and a gift card 🙂 they are fun to make!

2. Laura April 23, 2012 at 4:26 pm #

Hey sweetie! You have a very beautiful blog with a lot of inspiring posts! I’d like to invite you to be my friend and follow each other:)

3. Crafty Pearla April 30, 2012 at 2:55 am #

Thank you so much for sharing your tips & tutorials. Really appreciate your effort done.. 🙂

4. Beatrice April 30, 2012 at 6:08 am #

Hi,
    great tutorial! Thank you.
    Beatrice (from France- Europe)

5. Cathy May 7, 2012 at 11:07 am #

I am going to make the mug rug with my 7 year old for the grandma’s for mothers day–i will do the applique, but she can easily do the rest! the video was excellent for helping her see what will do. plus, as you will find out someday–even if mom is a great sewer, they don’t always like to listen to us ;-).

• Cathy May 7, 2012 at 3:05 pm #

I meant, we’ll do!
      maybe my grammar is why she listened to your directions more easily than she listened to mine-ha!

• Vanessa Wilson May 7, 2012 at 11:11 pm #

haha… that’s a great for you to do together. Have fun!

6. Anonymous May 23, 2012 at 1:01 pm #

Cute mug rug, the link seems to be broken for the patern. can you fix it please

7. Vanessa Wilson May 23, 2012 at 2:42 pm #

Thanks for letting me know. It should work fine now. :o)

8. Anonymous May 28, 2012 at 8:56 am #

A neat idea. Perfect for toddlers placemats.

9. Antoinette May 28, 2012 at 1:00 pm #

I continue to get a Google Drive page when I try to get the pattern. Could you fix it again please? Would love to do this one!

10. Robin May 28, 2012 at 5:20 pm #

I also cannot get to the pattern…the Google Drive page comes up.

11. Anonymous May 28, 2012 at 6:41 pm #

Great tutorial on the “Mug Rug” . . . Thank you!

12. Reta August 9, 2012 at 8:33 pm #

I believe the link is broken as i cant get to the pattern, it keeps going to Google Drive. is there anyway to fix it, it’s such a cute pattern. Thank You, Reta

• Vanessa Wilson August 9, 2012 at 8:36 pm #

I’ve changed the link again… and it opens just fine for me. Try it again and let me know. Thanks.

• Reta August 9, 2012 at 9:56 pm #

Still not working, tried clicking on both of the Cupcake applique and it redirects me to Google Drive. Thats ok, ty maybe i did something wrong. lol

• Vanessa Wilson August 9, 2012 at 10:01 pm #

I embedded the file now so if you see it you should be able to click on the top right corner of the image where you see an arrow to open the file up in full screen mode and then print from there. Hope that works for you!

• Reta August 9, 2012 at 10:24 pm #

It worked great, thank you for doing that. Now to go pick out my colors. Thanks Again, and your tutorials are great.

13. Hand painted Personalised Mugs January 3, 2013 at 4:07 am #

Superb creativity.I really appreciate that.

14. Anonymous February 27, 2013 at 7:12 pm #

I can’t get the link to open for the pattern. Could you fix it, please?

15. Anonymous February 27, 2013 at 7:15 pm #

It now shows the download link but when I press it, it takes me to H&R Block

16. Anonymous February 27, 2013 at 7:17 pm #

Now it isn’t working at all. That’s okay. I’ll use another applique.

• Kandy March 17, 2013 at 3:20 pm #

Very cute design. I will definitely make these. Will post back here with a link when I do. I didn’t have any problems with your download link, it worked great for me.

• Anonymous March 21, 2013 at 3:50 pm #

how can I print this pattern. would like to make 10 if I can get the pattern

• Anonymous March 24, 2013 at 3:09 pm #

still can not print!!!

17. Whosies May 10, 2013 at 9:56 pm #

Loved your mug rug tutorial! Featured it in a round up: http://www.patchworkposse.com/blog/2013/05/mug-rug-pattern-with-ufo-quilt-blocks-52-ufo-quilt-block-pick-up/

18. Anonymous June 7, 2013 at 7:59 pm #

Thank you so much! I loved this. I am new to applique and quilting and I love this little project. You did a great job with the tutorial.

19. Paula March 4, 2015 at 8:29 am #

Thank you for this easy project. I’m looking for projects for my 13 yr old granddaughter for this summer. This will work very well!

20. Barbara Kirkus March 19, 2015 at 2:56 am #

Thank you so much for this cute cupcake applique and tutorial. I am a very beginning beginner to quilting, so the tutorial was very helpful – every part of it!

I plan on making the mug rug for practice (and a gift), but I want to use the cupcake applique on my granddaughter’s quilt that I am planning on making as soon as I figure out what I am doing!!!

21. Michelle October 29, 2015 at 8:04 pm #

Such a cute idea. If I ever get the free time I will have to make some!

22. Bethany November 7, 2015 at 1:58 pm #

I love this little cupcake design. I will be using it for my Mother’s Apron for Christmas. I’m going to embroider the grandkids names on to the fabric before I put it all together. Thanks for the design and THANK YOU for being so detailed in what supplies you are using. That really helps.

23. Tina December 16, 2015 at 1:07 am #

Love it, wow, going to make some, thank you! Tina from Auckland New Zealand

24. Geri January 18, 2016 at 11:51 am #

Wish I could hear you a little better, maybe a different place to wear mike. Makes it difficult for old people but love the mug rug pattern. Thanks

1. Brother ScanNCut Sneak Peek #2! - Crafty Gemini - December 1, 2014

[…] for a while you may recognize this cupcake applique.  It’s the design I created for my cupcake mug rug tutorial.  Well, this time around I used the same cute cupcake to embellish a baby’s onesie. {No […]