In this episode of WIP Wednesday Vanessa will answer questions that have been submitted by viewers regarding what sewing thread to use for bags, what is a good all purpose sewing thread to have on hand, how to tension top and bobbin threads, and how to keep fabric edges from fraying.
Whether you’re sewing your first project or a seasoned veteran of the craft, having the right information about thread and fabrics is essential. Knowing the difference between types of thread, when to use what type of thread, and how to treat different fabrics can make all the difference in the outcome of your sewing projects.
We’ll talk about the different kinds of thread, the best thread for different tasks, and how to prevent fabric from fraying. Join us and maybe you’ll pick up a few tips that will help you, too!
Vanessa is answering pre-submitted questions. If you’d like to submit a sewing/quilting question for Vanessa to answer on a future WIP Wednesday episode please use this form: https://forms.gle/D2qMCVJxfAgJHvWb7
• 1:43 – What’s the best thread to use for general purpose sewing
• 7:12 – Aurifil Sewing Thread
• 9:41 – Gütermann Sewing Thread
• 11:08 – Mettler Sewing Thread
• 12:31 – Thread Weight & Sulky Sewing Thread
• 15:35 – Thread to use with your Serger
• 19:58 – Best Weight of Sewing Thread for Bag Making
• 23:45 – Identifying sewing thread if it’s not labeled
• 25:22 – Glide Sewing Thread
• 27:43 – Isacord Sewing Thread
• 30:09 – How to tell if your sewing machine top and bobbin thread tension is right
• 48:12 – How to keep fabric from fraying
Products and projects mentioned & used:
• Wonderfil Designer Polyester All-Purpose Thread: https://craftygemini.com/shop/wonderfil-designer-poly-thread/
• Wonderfil Konfetti 100% cotton 50wt thread: https://craftygemini.com/shop/50wt-100-cotton-thread-konfetti-assorted-colors/
• Glide Thread- 40wt Poly for Free Motion Quilting: https://craftygemini.com/shop/glide-thread-40wt-poly-for-free-motion-quilting/
• Crafty Gemini’s Favorites- 12 wt. Cotton Thread Pack by Sulky: https://craftygemini.com/shop/crafty-geminis-favorites-12-wt-cotton-thread-pack-sulky/
• 5 Tips for Sewing with 12 wt Cotton Thread- Crafty Gemini’s Favorites/Sulky Thread: https://youtu.be/ygkj0qiHYzs
• WIP WEDNESDAY #70: How to use decorative stitches on your sewing machine with Crafty Gemini!: https://craftygemini.com/2022/06/wip-wednesday-70-how-to-use-decorative-stitches-on-your-sewing-machine.html
• JUKI HZL- LB5020 Sewing Machine: https://craftygemini.com/shop/juki-hzl-lb5020-sewing-machine/