FREE MOTION QUILTING- Video Tutorial Series: Video #2

free motion quilting tutorial video series #2 straight stitches
Video #2 in my free motion quilting video series is ready for you! If you missed Video #1 from a few weeks ago make sure you check it out and learn how I set up my machine for free motion quilting. In Video #2 we finally start stitching! I talk about how to start and stop your stitches, overall stitch quality, how to get the stitch length you want and some beginner exercises to practice and get comfortable free motion quilting on your home sewing machine.

{NOTE: No matter when you are finding out about this series you will have access to every video I post in this playlist! All my FMQ video tutorials will be archived indefinitely right here: FREE MOTION QUILTING VIDEO SERIES PLAYLIST}

In this series of videos I will be showing you how I use a home sewing machine to free motion quilt. I use my JUKI TL-2010Q for free motion quilting. You can watch my video review of the machine HERE.

CLICK HERE TO WATCH VIDEO #2- Straight Stitches and Practice Exercises

Click to SUBSCRIBE to TheCraftyGemini channel (Mondays): https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCraftyGemini

Click to SUBSCRIBE to Crafty Gemini Creates channel (Wednesdays): http://bit.ly/CGCreatesChannel

free motion quilting on JUKI TL-2010Q sewing machine

One of my favorite FMQ designs! So simple and mindless to do. I’ll teach you how to do it in future videos! Stay tuned!

Now that we are stitching let the free motion fun begin!

CLICK HERE TO WATCH VIDEO #2- Straight Stitches and Practice Exercises

8 Responses to FREE MOTION QUILTING- Video Tutorial Series: Video #2

1. Shelia August 25, 2015 at 10:13 am #

Hi, Vanessa

Thanks for this tutorial. I am a beginning quilter and did not know where/how to start quilting my quilt sandwich. I’ve watched other videos and read books and did not understand them. This video is simple but very informing. I now know how to begin, check and end stitches. Will start practicing today. LOVE IT!!!!

Thanks again

2. Kelleen August 27, 2015 at 9:24 am #

I was wondering what thread brand do you use? I love trying new threads! Thanks kelleen

3. sohani September 28, 2015 at 3:16 pm #

all these video really helpful..so thanks to you.

4. Elaine March 22, 2016 at 3:07 pm #

Hi Vanessa
    I noticed that you used the generic open toe foot for your 2010. I love my machine, needed an open toe, ordered the one you have but from sewingonline. May I ask how you adjusted your tension or another part of your machine to use this foot. I am not getting a consistent stitch with it. My original feet work beautifully. I do notice a slight wiggle when the foot is on the machine–did you find that? Perhaps I got a bad foot. Just want to make sure that it is the foot before I send it back.
    Thanks,
    Elaine

• Profile photo of Vanessa Vargas Wilson
      Vanessa Vargas Wilson March 22, 2016 at 9:31 pm #

Hi Elaine. I would send it back sounds like it’s defective. I didn’t have to adjust anything with mine. Hope that helps!

5. marta coromina June 22, 2016 at 10:06 pm #

Thanks for showing me free motion quilting, I can’t wait to start doing it myself!!!!

6. Betty Ann September 9, 2016 at 8:53 pm #

Hi Vanessa,
    Thank you so much for your tutorials. I just purchased a JukiTL 2010 Q and already the thread cutter has stopped working. Any tips?

1. Quilted Laptop Cover | Aaseevana - September 3, 2015

[…] call myself a quilter ;-). Fortunately my favorite online tutor vanessa (craftygemini blog) started weekly FMQ tutorial and I got to experiment it on this […]