Teaching Kids to Sew- Tips & Ideas

If you recall from THIS earlier post my son got the sewing machine he asked for this Christmas.  Well, he had two {short} sewing lessons before I decided to film them.  I thought it would be helpful to show you how I’m teaching him to use his sewing machine.

DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT recommend teaching a young child how to use a sewing machine just based on their age.  Know your child and ONLY teach them to use a sewing machine when you think they are ready.

My son is 3 years 4 months old which is VERY young to start using a sewing machine. However, he is very careful, has great attention to detail and I knew he was ready to learn the basics. Every child is different.

With that said,  click HERE to watch the video or watch it below if you are reading this post on my blog.
I hope you enjoy it! Feel free to share and pin it too! I hope more parents and grandparents will consider teaching a child in their life how to sew.  It’s fun, a great learning experience and a practical skill I feel everyone should have!

{p.s.- Let me just say I am beyond proud of my little man! This was only his 3rd ever sewing lesson and he did an amazing job!}

24 Responses to Teaching Kids to Sew- Tips & Ideas

1. Granny Bradsher January 7, 2013 at 3:44 pm #

I wish I had spent more time at my Aunt’s side and learned from her. My mom “public worked” and had no interest in homemaking, but my Aunt could do it all. Now, I am 47 and taking my first lessons so I can sew for my grandchildren.

2. Carmen January 7, 2013 at 4:20 pm #

He is so adorable. Great video.

3. Kelly Dannemann January 7, 2013 at 10:17 pm #

That was just so cute. Watch out mama, he has been observing for 3 years, Jonathan is going to take over your show. I am looking foward to his first lesson teaching us.

I loved you lesson, I learned to sew on here from Vanessa, thank you again by the way. I think this great to watch to help others learn to sew, I have been teaching a couple of students, I am looking foward to some more great tips.

Thank you Jonathan and Vanessa.

4. Anonymous January 8, 2013 at 10:35 pm #

so cute! my daughter (5) asked for a sewing machine for christmas and that’s what she got. we have been doing exactly what you show in the video and it’s been so much fun.

5. Patricia Cartwright January 9, 2013 at 12:07 am #

Absolutly wonderful. My grand daughter will be 4 in March and I have just started teaching her about some sewing things. I am making her and her friend a play cape so today she sat on my lap and took the pins out before I got to them.She was so cute in telling me when to stop so she could do her job. You are a great inspiration. Keep up the good work and Avery and I will be watching :).

6. Anonymous January 9, 2013 at 1:30 pm #

Your little guy is adorable! Thanks for the helpful–and inspiring–video!

7. Growing Up Jinks January 9, 2013 at 3:04 pm #

Very cute!!! I love to see other parents sharing these wonderful skills with their children 🙂 Quick Question- What type of machine is that?? The small machine I got for my 3 has tension issues and my machine is to expensive to risk teaching them on 🙁

8. Ivy Rabadan January 11, 2013 at 2:05 am #

cuando era niña mi tía-abuela me regalo una máquina de coser pequeña, es un recuerdo muy especial y estaba muy enterrado en mi mente y al ver a tu chiquito precioso en su máquina me hizo recordar…

Gracias por tus tutoriales yo no tengo oportunidad de entrar a un curso de costura, y realmente tus vídeos me están dando la oportunidad de aprender.

Que Dios los bendiga, gracias : )

9. Christina Flowers January 12, 2013 at 6:44 pm #

He is so precious!!!!! I started my girls early too (around 5) They lost interest for a while but now they see me whipping out quilts and other things and are wanting to do more sewing! I am glad you shared this with us, there’s a couple of things that I missed when I was teaching my eldest daughter, now that I am reminded, I can go through all the basics with them again and feel confident

10. Donna January 13, 2013 at 12:39 am #

OMGosh!! Just adorable. Your son AND his sewing. He is one smart cookie. You are a great mother. Keep up the good work with him. Thanks for the video. Look forward to many more with him.

11. Anonymous January 16, 2013 at 12:53 am #

I have a master’s degree in early childhood education and development and you are so on target with what you are doing with your son. You are developing his vocabulary and fine motor skills as well as his emotional bond with you. Great job, mom!

12. Carla B January 18, 2013 at 8:28 am #

I love watching your videos! I have started teaching my 6 year old to sew as she is showing lots of interest in it when I am sewing. I was taught quite young by my grandmother and I am so excited to be teaching my daughter now too.

13. Laura January 21, 2013 at 8:54 am #

Just watched your video with my six year old and she is excited to get a little more independent on my sewing machine. Thanks for the great tips!

14. GuldenThought June 8, 2013 at 6:03 am #

Your son is exceptional, You are blessed!

15. dl June 21, 2013 at 11:07 am #

That is incredible. Thanks so much. I was trying to work out how to approach this with my son 🙂

16. KathyM July 15, 2013 at 5:45 pm #

Love the video! I’ve been looking for a sturdy child’s table for a sewing machine like the one in your video. It looks like a folding table. Will you share where you purchased it? Thanks so much.

17. Anonymous August 12, 2013 at 6:34 am #

OH WOW! What a great video, and what a wonderful son you have! His enthusiasm for sewing is so fantastic to see:) I love the way he repeats the steps to himself (‘don’t sew ourselves’, ‘take out the needles, no, pins…’) as he’s sewing. I’m 56, been sewing for 50 years and I do this too:)

I love too that you are teaching him how to properly seat the bobbin case on that front load. I never got the hang of it so I avoid front/side load systems and teach my students exclusively on top drop-in systems. I am also impressed to hear him using both English and Spanish for the parts, that’s just very, very cool!

I’ve just agreed to teach the ten year old from next door how to sew and will definitely show this video to her in our first lesson. She’s the first person under 16 that I’ve considered teaching so I did a Google search for ‘tips on teaching children to sew’ – this is one of the first pages to come up and I can see why!

18. Teacher in Indonesia September 23, 2013 at 8:58 am #

That was such a great video! I learned to sew with my mom when I was six. Now, I’m a first grade teacher and want to teach the kiddos in my Go Green Club how to make reusable shopping bags out of old clothes. This video made me think, “Yeah, I we can do it!” Might take all year, but that’s alright 🙂 Thanks!

19. Anonymous September 25, 2013 at 7:58 pm #

I am going to start doing that with my daughter. All this time I was keeping her away from my sewing machine instead of teaching her about the sewing machine. This was a really nice video.

20. Catherine November 11, 2013 at 11:02 pm #

Your video has taught me to relax a little with my girls. My eldest is 6 and I just bought her a janome for Christmas. I’m so excited to teach her and probably her little sister who’s 3. I would love to see how your son is doing now. Has he kept it up and what type of projects have interested him. Thanks in advance. Catherine

21. Just Enough Cats November 30, 2013 at 11:50 am #

I used to be a teacher, and you are doing great with your adorable son. Good for both of you.

1. Apron for Kids- DIY Tutorial & GIVEAWAY! - Crafty Gemini - December 1, 2014

[…] P.S.- If you’d like some tips on how to teach kids how to use a sewing machine check out this video post.} […]

2. Sewing Dolls for Boys - Crafty Gemini - December 1, 2014

[…] sewing the curves for him. He chose the fabric colors and buttons for the eyes. If you recall from this post my son started sewing at the age of three after asking for a sewing machine for Christmas. He […]

3. TOP 5 SALES going on right now! - Crafty Gemini - December 1, 2014

[…] in your fabric either! CLICK HERE TO SEE THE PINS. #4) Beginner Sewing Machine- You may recall the blog post I wrote earlier this year about teaching my preschool aged son to sew on his sewing machine. I get […]