How to make a fabric basket/bowl tutorial

It’s finally here!
My step-by-step video tutorial on how to make these adorable fabric baskets/bowls.
 This is the one I make the tutorial.. black, white and hot pink!  Gotta love it!
Subscribe to my YouTube channel for updates on all the latest tutorials I post!
Feel free to share with your crafty friends, too!

, , , , , , ,

25 Responses to How to make a fabric basket/bowl tutorial

1. idyllicchick May 16, 2011 at 8:52 pm #

Hurrah! I’ve been wanting to learn how to do this. Thanks so much!

2. Mrs. Sassy Crafter May 16, 2011 at 9:47 pm #

omgosh I love it! I can’t wait to make some, it would look so cute with some potpourri in it to decorate a bathroom =)as always great tutorial!!!!

3. VickiT May 17, 2011 at 7:44 pm #

THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH! I’ve wondered how to do these for so long and without this I surely would have guessed wrong. I was under the impression the fabric was wrapped very differently. This is just awesome. Any idea the amount of fabric you would use for different sized baskets? Just a guess since I know it’s not going to be exact but for a small one, one like the size in the video, and then maybe a larger one? Assuming the same fabric was used for the entire basket of course in the guess on the amount of fabric needed for the different sizes is what I’m wondering about. This time of the year finding the clothesline type cording should be very easy. I just saw some in one of the dollar type stores over the past weekend but didn’t notice the price or if it was 100% cotton but it looked like it probably was.

Thank you so much again for the video.

4. Jessica May 20, 2011 at 4:03 pm #

Thanks for the tute. I’ve always wondered how to make these. I’ll be trying one soon. I used to live in Gainesville and my husband is a UF Alumnus. So many things I miss there.
    Go Crafty Gators.

5. Gudrun May 20, 2011 at 4:37 pm #

This was wonderful and easy to watch!!! Thank you for doing this!!!!
    I will sign up for your page on Facebook right now!!!!

6. Two Shades of Pink May 20, 2011 at 10:03 pm #

This is so wild! I had seen a tutorial on Craft Stylish for a basket like this and was inspired to make No sew coasters with same type of technique and used a plastic clothesline since i was not sewing. AN DI POSTED IT TODAY! Your baskets are GORGEOUS and your tutorial is amazing! I may attempt this after seeing your tute. AWESOME!

7. Michelle@Somedaycrafts May 20, 2011 at 11:40 pm #

What a fun way to use fabric. I like the possibilities! U am featuring this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com.

8. Joy Burkhart May 21, 2011 at 7:27 am #

Super video and well done! Thank you for this tut!
    XoXoXo
    Joy

9. Cristina May 21, 2011 at 12:50 pm #

Thanks so much for the tutorial. I start doing one basket with my scraps then I stopped, I was sewing it by hand and get tired. I didn’t even try to do it with my sewing machine ’cause I was afraid to damage it. Now that I saw you doing I’m going to finish it.

10. Suvarna.... May 24, 2011 at 12:14 pm #

Lovely tutorial… can’t wait to make one. I have a question Vanessa…where do we get the filler cord like the one u have used? I bought one from Joanns and it was very thin and its the only one they had there. I want to make with a thick one like yours… Please let me know…

11. Crafty Gemini May 24, 2011 at 5:33 pm #

Suvarna: I purchased the thicker filler cord at Joann’s also. Check back with that store to see if they will get more in or try to order on their website. Hope this helps.

12. Anonymous July 25, 2011 at 9:48 pm #

Vanessa – I got a lot out of the tutorial – but one thing I need additional views of is when you change fabrics. Your video didn’t show clearly how it’s done. Do you put the new fabric on top of the old, the old on top of the new? How do you keep them from sticking out once you’ve sewn the new one in. Anyway, I couldn’t tell from your video. Everything else works just as you showed it. Thanks.

13. Crafty Gemini July 25, 2011 at 10:11 pm #

Watch the video at 9:25. I know my hands are covering most of it but the text says to overlap the old strip with the new strip by a little bit. The new goes over the old because it’s being added and the old is already wrapped around the cord. I wrap a little before the end of the old strip to make sure that loose end is concealed. The zig zag stitching is what keeps them from sticking out. As long as they are wrapped tightly you’ll be fine. Hope this helps.

14. crafty mama August 2, 2011 at 7:25 pm #

I love your website!! I just made this bowl today and it’s awesome!! Your tutorials are awesome 🙂 thanks so much!!
    Here’s my bowl:

15. Crafty Gemini August 2, 2011 at 7:28 pm #

crafty mama: You did an amazing job…. and I love those colors! Feel free to upload that pic to our facebook page so everyone else can see what you made! http://www.facebook.com/CraftyGemini

16. crafty mama August 2, 2011 at 7:29 pm #

Your blog is also very inspitational! By that, I mean I am also a mom and busy and in school and work….. Somewhere in there I find time to craft, and have always admired blogger moms. A few weeks ago, I started one 🙂
    Your blog/ business/ videos/ designs etc are AMAZING!!! I admire the fact that you can juggle so many things 🙂 keep it up, I will be back often!!!!

17. Amanda December 6, 2011 at 9:56 am #

Here is my most recent basket. We linked back to this great tutorial on this post! http://theeducatorsspinonit.blogspot.com/2011/12/diy-handmade-gifts-for-toddlers-are-as.html

18. Kim @ The Educators' Spin On It February 16, 2012 at 9:14 pm #

We just shared your idea on making Fabric Baskets with a Baby Time Post on how to Create and Store Toy Stations for your child. Hope you get a chance to check it out. Thank you so much for your tutorial Vanessa! My daugther loves the one that Amanda made and uses it almost daily. http://theeducatorsspinonit.blogspot.com/2012/02/baby-time-ideas-for-creating-and.html

19. Anonymous June 3, 2012 at 6:53 pm #

Hey, Vanessa. Still wanting to try these bowls. I am having a HARD time finding cord that is 100% cotton without breaking the bank. Is the cord you use like the soft, pliable stuff you get at fabric stores for piping cushions? Or, is it hard and packed like clotheslines I’ve seen? Will poly/cotton work?

• Vanessa Wilson June 3, 2012 at 7:25 pm #

Poly/cotton will do fine. Just don’t get the nylon stuff. Yes, the cotton filler cord I most often like to use is used for piping. But usually the narrower cording will be tighter like clothesline. Both will work fine just remember that the thinner the cording the longer it will take to create the bowl. :o)

20. charly July 26, 2012 at 2:14 pm #

I LOVE these! I got a heart=-shaped one many, many years ago at a flea market and always wanted to know how to make them! Thank you so much. Yours is the most helpful blog on quilting, etc., that I’ve seen in a long time, by the way. 🙂

21. Anonymous July 8, 2013 at 11:47 pm #

I have to admit you’re a great teacher.I made a basket tonight and it was fun .I love the out come.I’ll be making more and checking out your other tutorials..Thank You for sharing…

22. Charis Hilty December 13, 2013 at 10:09 am #

Like all your tutorial, Tried the one on cloth baskets and the three I’ve done look like boats,high on each end and dips down on sides, what am I doing wrong. Any info well be grateful Thanks cyhilty@yahoo.com

23. LadyLike December 30, 2013 at 12:44 am #

What a wonderful idea for Christmas gifts! Thanks for sharing the tutorial.

24. Kelly June 4, 2016 at 2:17 pm #

Any tips for if you run out of cording too soon? Can you attach another strand?