What NOT to do when sewing Butterick 6214: Instructional Video

I’m back with the next video in my Butterick 6214 sew along video! In this video tutorial I make the pattern the way I’ve seen my beginning sewing students try to make their clothes. There are many many no-nos in this video… trust me when I say I did them all on purpose! I want to show the newbies following along what they tend to end up with when they don’t yet have the knowledge and/or experience to know better.  If you have had failed attempts at making clothes in the past I hope you will be able to relate to some problems in this video and that you will stick around for the next video where I’ll properly show you how to select your pattern size, fabric, notions and make a better fitting top.

Click here to watch Video #2 of the Butterick 6214 Sew Along Series.

p.s.- If you’re new to this series you can always watch the first (and upcoming) video HERE.

If you need the Butterick 6214 pattern or my favorite clip & slide measuring tape order HERE.

, , ,

22 Responses to What NOT to do when sewing Butterick 6214: Instructional Video

1. Susan April 20, 2018 at 7:50 am #

Thanks for all the info – really appreciate you! and yes I did a sample one and it came out just like yours! Can’t wait until the next video!! I learn so much from you!
    Susan

PS Have you tried Eloflex thread! I personally love it as I don’t have a serger! and with this thread you sew just like reg. Please give me your opinion!

2. Teresa Krieger April 20, 2018 at 8:33 am #

Thanks for this video. I’m certain my last attempt at clothing sewing I did exactly what you showed us NOT to do. I have purchased several clothing patterns since then but have little confidence that I can make them fit. Hopefully, I will be confident again after your Sew along!

3. LuAnne Borzych April 20, 2018 at 8:53 am #

I am loving your teaching method. Learning how to sew garments, as a beginner, is definitely hard. Showing me what not to do is extremely beneficial to me. Choosing the correct fabrics is overwhelming. Can’t wait to hear what you have to share about that. 😊

4. judy April 20, 2018 at 10:08 am #

Looking forward to next video. I gave up sewing for me, nothing fits! thanks for doing this.

5. Jane April 20, 2018 at 11:32 am #

Oh my goodness you are so right

6. Patty Wyatt April 20, 2018 at 3:35 pm #

I love your teaching methods! Looking forward to the next video.

7. Julia Faulkner April 20, 2018 at 5:40 pm #

Waiting on the next video. I am not a beginner but never learned the technique to make things fit for myself.

8. Annie April 20, 2018 at 8:58 pm #

Oh Vanessa .. you have no idea! 🤬
    Thanks so much for this – looking forward to the next and learning the correct way.

9. Tina Sitz April 21, 2018 at 7:11 am #

really enjoyed this video. been sewing for awhile and yet still never learned how to make things fit my body type.

10. Manuela April 21, 2018 at 11:26 am #

I too have “misused” patterns like this. I made a fleece for my husband and following the pattern the end product looked like a tent. Needless to say I have plenty of fleece left over after being discouraged by the result. I cant wait for the next video. Thank you so much.

11. Adriana Bergstrom April 21, 2018 at 2:21 pm #

So ‘en pointe’ girl! I love that you’re doing this. Lots of little things you can do to work a big 6 sewing pattern, but the information is certainly lacking on those package envelope instructions! 😀

12. Ursula April 21, 2018 at 10:08 pm #

I really enjoyed your teaching on this pattern. I have tried sewing projects where the shirt did not come out too well. It was probably due to beginner mistakes. I am really looking forward to the next video.

13. Tamara Lee April 22, 2018 at 11:30 am #

Excellent info Vanessa, thank you! I’ve been so intimidated by these tissue type patterns, but still want to try them. You know I’ve been a nurse for 34 years. Your unfinished oversized “what not to do” top looks like a hospital gown, lol. Looking forward to this series to finally get it right to make a top I’m excited to wear .

14. Eunice Scott April 22, 2018 at 12:08 pm #

I have been sewing for over 55 years and I just love what you are doing for the beginners out there. You make the techniques my grandam, mom and aunt taught me so easy for the beginners to understand. I follow you for your cute and simple craft and kids clothing patterns. I’m a mom, grandma and great grandma and just love you on Facebook. Keep it up lady, you are amazing!!!

15. Donna Ballotta April 23, 2018 at 10:38 pm #

so funny to watch mistakes I made in the past very good wish you had done this years ago

thanks for all you do

sorry I can’t pay for your videos I love the ones I have watched

please keep teaching

16. Grace Patane April 24, 2018 at 8:19 am #

Another great video, Vanessa! It must have been hard to see a garment the wrong way!! I can’t wait for the next video!!

17. Fay Thoomas April 25, 2018 at 2:37 pm #

Thank you for this video, can’t wait for the next. I sew most of my clothes, but like you I fall between sizes, and would adjust the pattern , but by trial and error. Hope to learn the proper way. My stuff comes out great, but need more kno and not Gus work.

18. Carole April 26, 2018 at 11:46 am #

Does anyone know when we’ll be starting to make our “tops”. I watched Videos 1 & 2 and found them extremely interesting. I just bought my fabric (pattern already purchased)

19. Tina April 26, 2018 at 10:06 pm #

Thank you, I have an old body now and straight up front with my boobs, hard to find a waist (what is that) and wrinkly old arms! So always look like I am a sausage tied in the middle!
    So watching with interest to see if it can help my sewing!

20. Carol Kauffman April 26, 2018 at 11:29 pm #

I have been sewing for years but have never known how to make those patterns fit my body so they are comfortable to wear. Will be looking forward to the next videos to help me get some great looking tops and comfy besides.

21. Kristen April 28, 2018 at 8:34 pm #

No wonder none of the patterns I have bought in the past have worked. Which is why I quit making my own clothes. Very interesting and looking forward to the next video.

22. Lori April 30, 2018 at 2:09 pm #

When will the next video be available? I have a get together May 6and wad going to have this top sewn for it.