Pillowcase Dresses

I have a new tutorial for those of you interested in learning how to make one of these adorable pillowcase dresses for the princess in your life!

I have a 9 month old baby BOY and here I am designing pillowcase dresses!! Is it a sign?? well, maybe… but my husband and I won’t be trying for baby #2 until the end of this year…I’ll be sure to keep you posted. :o)

This pillowcase dress craze began when one of the moms in a local moms group I’m in asked me if I could teach a sewing class on pillowcase dresses.  She said she knew a lot of moms that would be interested in that class.  So, I started doing research to find out what they even were! LOL.  A few months later here I am!  Teaching three different pillowcase dressmaking classes and they are filling up so quickly!

Pillowcase-Dress

The first class was last Saturday and I had six students!  Wanna see the dresses they made?   Click here.   In just three hours everyone left with a finished pillowcase dress for their little girls! :o)

I have created a step-by-step tutorial for a simple way of making this dress.  It only requires two coordinating cotton fabrics and some ribbon.  There are a lot of other pillowcase dress patterns and tutorials out there that require you to attach bias binding for the arm holes and I would NOT recommend that for a beginner.  Bias binding can be tricky and just requires more time and extra steps that are unnecessary.  My tutorial keeps it nice and simple while teaching you how to make french seams.  French seams give any project a clean and professional look.  So, following my print and video instructions you will be able to make a professional looking dress in a short amount of time.

You can purchase the print version of my pattern and tutorial here for only $3!

I will email you the PDF pattern/tutorial in less than 12 hours after your payment is received.
I have also created a video tutorial that serves as a supplemental resource to the print tutorial.  As an instructor I know that it can be tough (especially for beginners) to understand what to do just from reading the instructions.  So, for those of you who learn better visually I have created this video.   I am confident that if you read my instructions and follow my video tutorial you will be able to make this pillowcase dress time and time again!

ENJOY!

, , , , , , ,

30 Responses to Pillowcase Dresses

1. Vanessa May 31, 2010 at 10:17 am #

What a cute and simple project! I may have to put this on my list of things to do for my daughter!

2. Alexandra June 1, 2010 at 1:36 am #

Thank you for the nice tutorial! Loved the french seams, this the first time I see those.

3. Crafty Gemini June 4, 2010 at 1:58 am #

Thanks, ladies!

@Alexandra: You’re welcome! Yea, french seams are the way to go if you don’t have a serger. :o)

4. Anonymous October 10, 2010 at 11:37 am #

I have to tell you that I bought your pillowcase dress pattern/tutorial and it was the easiest sewing I have ever done! Your directions are so clear and so simple, and don’t assume that the sewer has any experience- meaning I didn’t have to spend forever trying and decipher “sewing language” which I hate having to do with other patterns. And the video was such a great tool for visual learners like myself. This was such a wonderful help to me and now my little girl has a beautiful dress made by me! I am pretty proud of myself! I am buying more fabrics to make her more of them soon! Thank you so much!

5. Melissa December 10, 2010 at 4:31 pm #

I was wondering if you did the tutorial on the ruffle pillowcase dress yet??

6. Natalie Huffman December 26, 2010 at 11:16 pm #

Love it!

7. Brittney December 31, 2010 at 7:03 pm #

Also looking for the ruffle tutorial…

8. seanbethcole January 12, 2011 at 8:40 pm #

Hi there, just wondering if the pdf pattern includes different sizes. I have a bunch of little girls that I would love to make this for. Thanks so much!

9. Anonymous February 5, 2011 at 10:46 pm #

You do a very nice job of explaining this adorable project. I have 4 little nieces who are each going to get a pillow dress this Spring. Thanks so much.

10. Tracie February 9, 2011 at 3:18 pm #

Oh my goodness! I’m so excited to try this. I bought a Simplicity pattern but haven’t opened it yet. I think yours will be so much easier and more professionally finished with the french seams. I purchased your pattern but was unsuccessful in downloading. Perhaps it’s because I did it during lunch hour on my work computer. Now I’ve “reached my download limit”. Please help.

11. Shakisha March 3, 2011 at 8:54 pm #

I am totally a beginner in sewing. In fact my machine has not even shipped yet. As soon as I learn how to thread my machine this is project #2 (your eye pillow is project #1). I am going to my local crafts store to buy a rotery cutter and mat along with rulers, threads, needles, fabrics. You have me so excited to get going. I also purchased the pattern and had trouble downloading so I exceeded my downloading limit before I could get the actual pattern.I sent an email so hopefully I can read through it soon. Can’t wait and Thanks so much. Also would you consider doing online classes for International students? I certainly would sign up asap

12. lexianderson April 17, 2011 at 1:21 am #

I am a boutiquer who is looking to start carrying pillowcase dresses. I can’t wait to download these instructions and try them out. I am also wondering if there are other sizes on your template as my loyal subjects range from newborn-adolescents. Thanks so much!

13. Crafty Gemini April 17, 2011 at 9:12 am #

@lexianderson: This particular pattern is based on you having or knowing the finished measurements you want for the dress. So, you can really make it in any size. I do carry a ruffled pillowcase dress pattern now that comes complete with fabric cutting and size charts for newborns to size 8 in girls. For larger sizes you can tweak the larger measurements. Many of my customers purchase both patterns and use the charts from the ruffled dress to make the sizes they need in the standard dress. You can find that pattern in my shop at: http://www.craftygemini.bigcartel.com

14. Laura July 22, 2011 at 9:10 pm #

Thanks for the great directions and tutorial! I made two dresses within a few days of purchasing your pattern. They both turned out great! My daughter is still young so she’ll have many summers wearing dresses I made. And, when she’s outgrown a dress I can turn it into a drawstring bag.

15. Crafty Gemini July 22, 2011 at 9:23 pm #

Laura: Thanks for the comment! I’m so glad you were able to whip some up fro your little girl. Happy sewing!

16. Anonymous September 3, 2011 at 12:26 am #

Is then pattern one size fits all? Does it include a size chart?

17. Crafty Gemini September 4, 2011 at 9:51 pm #

The pattern is NOT one size fits all. Instead I provide you a formula so that you can make the dress if you have the little girl’s measurements. This pattern does not include a size chart. Currently only my ruffled pillowcase dress pattern includes a size chart.

18. CK October 29, 2011 at 9:42 pm #

I just made this dress and I added a pre-made ruffle. I was trying to find your ruffle pillowcase dress tutorial but I didn’t see it listed. Am I missing it somewhere? Thanks! Your video was wonderful! Keep doing what you’re doing 🙂

19. Crafty Gemini October 29, 2011 at 9:59 pm #

CK: Thanks for your post. The ruffled pillowcase dress can be found here: http://craftygemini.blogspot.com/2011/03/ruffled-pillowcase-dress-patternvideo.html

20. Anonymous January 15, 2012 at 2:35 pm #

i love this idea i think i mite make this for my 2 year old nic (how ever u spell that word) im only 13 and i love ur veidos

21. Mary-Catherine August 7, 2012 at 9:18 pm #

I have watched so many of your videos on YouTube. I have made zipper pouches all weekend haha! Excited to make a pillowcase dress. Going to buy the pattern tonight, can’t wait!

22. Anonymous October 31, 2013 at 12:25 pm #

My grandaughter is 9 could this be made large enough for her

23. Susie December 10, 2014 at 3:59 pm #

I would like to purchase this pattern for myself. I also want to purchase the pattern as a Christmas gift for my niece. How would this work since it comes to my email as a PDFs download?

• Vanessa Vargas Wilson December 11, 2014 at 12:51 am #

Hi Susie. Thanks for your interest in my pattern. Since this pattern is a PDF you can purchase two copies- one for yourself and one for her since it would be infringing on my copyright to copy any of my patterns. For the gifted copy you can send me her email address and I will send it to her when you’d like for her to receive it. Hope that helps. Thanks for asking.

• Susie December 11, 2014 at 7:17 pm #

Thanks Vanessa. Your answer helped me. Do I make two separate purchases using my credit card both times?

• Vanessa Vargas Wilson December 11, 2014 at 7:20 pm #

Hi Susie. That would probably be the best way to do it since I have the PDF patterns set up so that you can only purchase one at a time to avoid when people make multiple purchases by mistake. Then I’ll email you for her info. Thanks!

• Susie December 11, 2014 at 7:43 pm #

Thanks Vanessa! I am going to watch the tutorials for the pillowcase dress and the ruffled pillowcase dress and then decide which patterns to purchase.

24. Susan December 20, 2014 at 6:58 am #

Hi Vanessa, I just ordered the pillowcase pattern and ruffled pillowcase pattern for my niece as a Christmas gift. I put my billing info in but used her email address. I hope this was the correct way to order. You can send those PDF patterns to her anytime you want. I am going to place another order for myself for the ruffled pillowcase pattern.

25. Kathy Rinehart January 18, 2015 at 1:02 am #

I found your blog through the sameliasmon.com sewing blog. I’m a beginner at sewing and I look forward to getting your posts. I love that you have video tutorials to assist with the printed info! Hope you are having a great day and lots of fun!

1. I love Fabric! - Crafty Gemini - December 1, 2014

[…] ruffle and I used some black satin ribbon for the shoulder straps. If you have seen my other pillow case dresses you know that this one is a bit different because of the ruffle.  I am working on the pattern and […]