Envelope Pillow Cover Tutorial

Been working on more video tutorials for all of you! Here is the latest one on how to make your own envelop pillow cover! It’s super easy and a great beginner project. Youcan also use the techniques I show you in this tutorial to spruce up and embellish the hek out of some funky pillow covers for your couch, futon, or even your bed!

I hope you enjoy! Comment and let me know if you’ve made one yourself or let me know what kinds of other tutorials you would like to see!

25 Responses to Envelope Pillow Cover Tutorial

1. Anonymous May 8, 2010 at 3:28 pm #

Very clear! Thank you from Holland!

2. Anonymous May 23, 2010 at 2:12 am #

Dear Vanessa,

thank you for your very informative tutorials. I am a beginner in the sewing field and I have just bought my very first sewing machine at the ripe old age of 55. I found your instuctions very easy to understand and I’m about to go and practice some of your techniques.

Kind regards – Jane U.K.

3. Anonymous June 9, 2010 at 6:11 pm #

Hey Vanessa,

I am also a beginner and i too have found your tutorials very clear and easy to follow. I have just made my first envelope pillowcase (only 3 more to go, for my sofa).

my next projects are, pillowcase dress for my DD aged 3, and a laptop cover.

I would like to see you do a tutorial on bedding, pillowcases and quilt covers.

kind regards Claire U.K

p.s you DS is sooo hansome. x

4. Anonymous July 16, 2010 at 1:42 pm #

Thanks Vanessa.
    Brilliant. Simple, effective and well demonstrated. Really appreciate all the effort you have put into this.
    Fran
    Oxford, England.

5. Chris July 23, 2010 at 12:57 am #

This is a really great tutorial. I tried your bib one and it went horribly wrong but that was my fault entirely. I watched the videos out of sequence and didn’t see where you said to watch the presser foot and not the needle. I am going out tomorrow to get some more tools and some fabric and I’m going to try my hand at this pattern. All straight edges should be a safe bet:D

6. Andrea M September 13, 2010 at 10:08 pm #

Thanks for a great tutorial. I have been sewing for a long time, but have run out of motivation. This is just the thing for me to teach my daughters with. They will use the pillows to decorate their beds. I have been wanting to teach them basic sewing but haven’t found something that interests both them and me. Thanks for the great video. Superbly done.

7. Andrea February 18, 2011 at 5:53 pm #

thanks vanessa! this was a very easy and fun tutorial to follow. finished this pillow in 20 min! awesome!

8. My Petticoat is Showing April 6, 2011 at 1:38 pm #

I love, love, love this tutorial. It taught me how to sew and the pillow came out fantastic. I linked your youtube video in my new blog. I’m sew glad I found you!!! Thanks again.

9. Alicia April 24, 2011 at 9:04 pm #

I’m a dunce at sewing but I’ve always wanted to make cute sewing projects (instead of just hemming pants all the time). Your youtube videos are wonderful! You explain everything so easy! I made 2 pillow covers the other day (i posted a picture on Flickr). Oh thank you!

10. Elaine July 7, 2011 at 10:25 pm #

Thanks for the tutorial! This was fun to make; I uploaded a pic on flickr!

11. Vidya August 8, 2011 at 2:39 pm #

hi vanessa ! i love the way you present your tutorials….i am just a beginner to sewing….and wish to see more of basic beginner projects like frocks for girls….

one question on this post….how many metres of cloth do we need to make this pillow cover? say in your case, for a 12 by 12 inch of pillow, how many metres of fabric do I need to purchase?

waiting for your reply !

12. Crafty Gemini August 8, 2011 at 3:41 pm #

Vidya: Thanks for your comment. I’m now posting weekly crafting and cooking videos on my YouTube channel so you can go there and subscribe to get emails whenever a new one is posted. http://www.youtube.com/TheCraftyGemini

12″ x 12″ would only require a little less than half a meter (or yard) assuming the width of the fabric you are buying is wider than the 12″-13″. Hope that helps.

13. doggyprincess September 21, 2011 at 1:48 am #

I’m redecorating…this will be perfect for my new animal print pillow covers…thanks again Vanessa for the inspiration!:) I’ll be posting pic on fb.

14. bterr33@comcast.net December 1, 2011 at 7:25 pm #

Just finished my first envelope pillow cover watching your tutorial. It came out great, just like yours!!!
    Would like to see you do a tutorial on ‘stitch in the ditch.’
    Thanks, Vanessa
    Barbara

15. Lauren June 11, 2012 at 12:43 pm #

I love your tutorials, I am going to try this one! I’d love it if you could do a video of a pillow cover like this, but with piping around the edges. I found a tutorial on Pinterest but your videos are much easier to follow!

16. Peppermint_Patt June 14, 2012 at 9:50 pm #

Vanessa, you are a wonderful teacher. I taught for 30+ years, home economics for part of those years. Wish I was as good a sewing teacher as you!

On the envelope pillow youtube tutorial, (wonderful job) was that a mini iron of some type that you used? so fast, I couldn’t tell. What do you recommend?

Thanks!
    Pat

17. Anonymous July 3, 2012 at 2:45 am #

I just made one of these with a pattern and managed to make it so the pattern lined up 🙂 A definite sense of accomplishment.
    Thanks from South Australia
    Kerry

18. Anonymous July 5, 2012 at 11:43 am #

They are copycat your tutorial take look here:http://bymiek.blogspot.nl/2012/06/naailes-4-een-kussenhoes-naaien.html

19. miss s April 11, 2013 at 4:06 pm #

Very easy to follow and I used this for my 1st ever make with my 1st sewing machine tonight! Very pleased with the result and it took no time at all!

20. Anonymous September 2, 2013 at 4:07 am #

you are great!!! thank you – I love the simplicity and easiness of your works. thank you so much from Australia!:)

21. Veronica January 20, 2015 at 10:45 pm #

I had never even used a sewing machine, but after watching your video, I whipped out four pillow cases like I’d been sewing for years. You truly have a gift for teaching (and via video, no less). Thank you so (sew?) much. You have showed me that sewing doesn’t have to be difficult. I can’t wait to share your wisdom with my friends!

22. Carole February 6, 2016 at 10:45 am #

Your explanation was excellent. I am a beginner quilter and I followed your instructions and made a perfect envelope pillow cover.
    I have also made some round placemats, but can’t figure out how to bind them. Do you have any suggestions or know where I could get some easy directions.

23. Carole February 6, 2016 at 11:31 am #

The you tube video you have on making an envelope pillow cover is excellent. I am a beginner quilter and followed your instructions and made 3 pillow covers all by myself, thanks for your help
    I was wondering if you have any videos on how to bind round placemats. I made some and tried to bind, but without success.
    Keep up your great job of explaining so that beginners can follow easily

• Carole February 6, 2016 at 11:32 am #

Sorry this is on twice.

24. Sandi June 9, 2016 at 2:55 pm #

Thank you so much for this beautifully detailed video. Since you have made this so easy for me to sew these pillows I have made them for my family and myself and will keep doing so. Your a great teacher…