3D Pinwheel Quilt Block- Video Tutorial

3d pinwheel quilt block video tutorial crafty gemini

I’m back with a quick & easy quilting tutorial that you are sure to enjoy! Check out this cute 3D Pinwheel quilt block!

This block whips up in no time if you use precut 5″ x 5″ squares. You won’t see me grab a ruler or a rotary cutter at all in this video. If you have charm squares hanging around this is the perfect project to use them up in.

3d pinwheel quilt block video tutorial

One block by itself would make a cute mug rug or mini quilt and three blocks with some sashing would be a perfect table runner. You could even piece several of these into a square and use it as a tactile playmat for babies. So many options from one simple block!

3d pinwheel block tutorial

Line up 3 blocks with sashing to make a table runner.

Now I’ll leave you with the video tutorial and I’d love to hear your feedback on the new quality of the videos. I have hired a videographer to help me with these tutorials and so far I am very happy with the new setup and quality of the videos. We set up three different camera angles and I think it really makes a huge difference! I’d love to hear your thoughts!

Enjoy the tutorial and happy quilting!

{CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE 3D PINWHEEL BLOCK VIDEO TUTORIAL}

18 Responses to 3D Pinwheel Quilt Block- Video Tutorial

1. Samia June 4, 2015 at 9:27 am #

im learn quilting in the last 3yrs and I’m enjoying every minute of it I love it that I’m making almost everyday and I love your work a lots good luck

2. judy June 4, 2015 at 10:40 am #

Great loved your work. Easy to understand!

3. Mari Lynn June 4, 2015 at 12:16 pm #

Love this! I have a vision for the the front of a beach bag!!!! THANK YOU!

4. Roberta June 4, 2015 at 1:23 pm #

The video freezes & the audio keeps going. The ideas of a 3D pinwheel is great. Hope the video gets fixed

• Profile photo of Vanessa Vargas Wilson
      Vanessa Vargas Wilson June 4, 2015 at 1:30 pm #

Sorry to hear you are having problems with the video. It must be your internet connection because its playing fine on my phone, tablet and computers. Try taking it off of HD so it can play in standard definition for you.

5. Peggy Merk June 4, 2015 at 11:52 pm #

The quality of the video is amazing!!!!! Of course, the quality of your instruction is as wonderful as it has always been! Love the tutorial and am off to my sewing room to try the tutorial out!

Thanks so much!

Peggy

6. Susan June 6, 2015 at 4:11 pm #

First of all, I’m not sure if it’s the pretty pink top, or the fact that you have your hair down, or the videographer, but you look way younger in this video than you do and your other videos! 🙂 Not that you usually look old, though.

Secondly, the quality of the video is really good. However, when you show the detail of something you’re doing, by the time he zooms to the close-up camera, you’re not showing it anymore and you can’t see the detail. I noticed this in another video that he did for you as well. It wasn’t a problem for me, because I’m an experienced quilter, but if a newbie was watching, they might find that very frustrating.

Also, it seems like in the videos you used to do, the close up camera view was from your perspective, which is much easier to see, than from the side.

Over all, though, a very nice video. Oh yeah, and I love the block! So easy and cute. BTW,, when you show the block that was sewn backwards, when you put it up against the other one, it makes a cute little envelope. I guess when you sew the seam it would become a divided envelope, though. But my first thought was, “How cute would little 3-D envelopes be on a wall Hanging?” You could use it for all sorts of things. I bet there’s a way to to make it un-dividend. I will watch again & see if I can figure it out. Thanks again & keep up the excellent work!

• Ramona Kintz June 6, 2015 at 6:30 pm #

I agree that the old videos were easier to view. I am left handed so everything is backwards to any way. Love the block.

7. Susan June 6, 2015 at 4:27 pm #

Okay, I figured it out: If you sew the seam between the two blocks BEFORE you fold the corners over, and fold the corners farther, so that they overlap by about a third, then sew the adjoining seam, it will make a cute little envelope! Sweet. 🙂 What do you think?

8. Carmen boyd June 12, 2015 at 1:20 pm #

Loved this video! I’m making a wall hanging using a charm pack called Stained Glass by Benartex with black pinwheels. OMG!!

9. Debbie June 14, 2015 at 4:05 pm #

Is there anywhere I can download the instructions for this? Would love to do it but can’t now and I’m sure I will lose video by the time I want to do it. Thanks!

• Profile photo of Vanessa Vargas Wilson
      Vanessa Vargas Wilson June 14, 2015 at 4:08 pm #

Debbie, I don’t offer text instructions since my specialty is in video instruction. Do you know how to save videos on your YouTube account. You can favorite them or add them to a playlist so you can always go back and reference them. Another option is to do a quick search. Whenever you are ready to make it you can come here (to my blog) of visit YouTube and type in “3D pinwheel quilt block.” My video will pop right up for you. Hope that helps!

10. Debbie June 28, 2015 at 12:54 am #

When I first saw 3D pinwheel, I thought yeah right! You made this so easy. I started making one for the 4th of July for my daughter. Than you for an awesome tutorial! I love it!!!

11. Elizabeth June 29, 2015 at 8:40 am #

Here is another idea for you to try. Lay one charm square right side up then the second charm fold your point down as you did then fold it over one more time. You sew the raw side down 1/8″ You only sew the one side. Do this with 4 charms then put them together. I made a baby blanket like this using white for the back ground and all different colors for the pinwheel. Your just folding one more time before you sew and all raw edges are in the seam. I pressed all my folds first then sewed them in place. After you sew all your squares together and open them up your points stick up and really give you a 3-D look. You can make this using any size square. Babies like to grab onto the points and even try to put them in their mouth. Keeps them busy for a while

12. Patty anne June 29, 2015 at 9:32 am #

I have never taken sewing lessons or had an interest in quilting. A few years ago I stumbled on crafty Gemini. You’re enthusiasm and concise directions made me think: well, that doesn’t look so hard. That must be a typical comment from a non sewer! But – it wasn’t that hard because of yr instructions. I started out making make up bags ( with zippers,, no less ) and have progressed to designing a sewing room, buying a Bernina, and spending my kids’ inheritance on fabric. My quilts are good enough to display around the house and even better to wrap up in during freezing Michigan winters. Thank you so very much, Vanessa. You’ve created a monster!!!!!

• Profile photo of Vanessa Vargas Wilson
      Vanessa Vargas Wilson June 29, 2015 at 9:39 am #

Hi Patty! oh my! Quite a monster, indeed! LOL. I enjoyed reading your comment and wanted to thank you for taking the time to write it! So happy for you and glad you too are able to enjoy the fun and therapy that is quilting!

13. Sally July 1, 2015 at 12:32 am #

hi vanessa: I wanted to thank you for your wonderful showing of the Juki F600. After working for over 30 years (I’m 78) I finally retired and decided I wanted to sew. Not sure what possessed me but I jumped in with some baby quilts for my great grandson. I made it through that fine and decided to make a Big Girl quilt instead of Baby stuff. I felt I was grown up now but how wrong I was and still am. I bought the Juki and I learned more about it the other day watching your demonstration than I learned from the book or the video that came with it. I’ve made one big quilt top from a jelly roll and that was pretty easy so I tried tried FMQ and found out I’m not so grown up at all. So anyway I’m struggling a lot with all there is to learn and with three major head injuries from being hit by a car while crossing the street and having two skull fractures, a 65 year old garage door falling on my head and needing stitches from the skull our and 26 staples to close it and several serious falls on my face and body, for some reason I’m still here and doing pretty well. I was left here for a reason. I

I used to have your energy but not so much anymore. I love your farm and your darling babies, I live with my grandson who holds his breath every time I leave the house until I get home, He is the greatest joy and reason for me being here I’m sure. anyway, I just wanted to thank you for all you do and for such a great explanation of the Juki, I never learned to sew and its certainly works my old beat up mind but maybe it’s good for me. Much better than just sitting around all day. I do get frustrated but I’m sure it will work out in time.

keep up the good work