How to Clean Iron Soleplate Tutorial

It’s Thursday so you know what that means! Another quick episode of Thread It Thursdays where I share sewing & quilting tips with you every week.

This is Episode #4.
The complete list of Thread It Thursday episodes will always be archived HERE.

In this short video I show you my preferred way of cleaning a gunky iron sole plate. I have a few different irons I use in my studio. This cheap one got like this mostly because of the fusible web I somehow always manage to get on the iron when I’m working on my applique projects. The other usual suspect is something I love to use- spray starch. So, when this happens I prefer to shy away from expensive and abrasive iron cleaners especially the ones with toxic fumes. Eww. I wrote this post on this tip over three years ago and thought it wold make a great Thread It Thursday video episode so here it is!

Enjoy! And feel free to pin this post and share it with friends.
Everyone still uses an iron, right?

6 Responses to How to Clean Iron Soleplate Tutorial

1. garnett November 15, 2013 at 7:46 am #

Thanks …. What a great tip.! I’m off to clean my irons

2. Anonymous November 15, 2013 at 8:47 am #

Hi Vanessa – I am huge fan of yours and the awesome whole food thing you do, as well as your amazing sewing videos. I have heard that those erasers contain among other chemicals formaldehyde. This is a huge concern for me and I would love to be corrected. Do you know if it has hazardous chemicals?

• Vanessa Vargas Wilson November 15, 2013 at 9:30 am #

From the research I did it looks like they use “formaldehyde is used in the manufacturing & production of the melamine sponge (magic eraser). So unlike Melamine dishware where we worry about the trace amounts of formaldehyde leaching after subjecting the dishware to cleaning, we don’t have to worry about this chemical ‘leaching’ out of the sponge.” In my case I only use these to clean my irons so a set of two will last me over a year. Hope that helps. I would suggest doing your own research on the matter as well.

3. Michele November 16, 2013 at 7:56 am #

I use Magic Erasers and never thought to use them to clean my iron. Thanks for that info.

4. Terri Ann November 18, 2013 at 5:38 pm #

My issue is I always forget to clean my iron until it’s turned on and I’m not patient enough to let it cool so I can clean it so I press on! Maybe I should set myself a reminder to go and do that today.

5. William Cane January 24, 2014 at 2:14 am #

They work great .Thanks for the tips,Nice blog.
    Melamine Cleaning Sponge