Vintage Singer 66 STEAL!

I just have to share this with you because I’m so excited! My mom came up from Orlando today because she’s staying the weekend with us.  We usually run out with the kids to see what goodies she’s brought for them. But she opens up her car to tell me what she got ME.  She tells me to close my eyes and when I open them… BAM!

My new baby! A vintage 1938 electric Singer 66.

AH!!!! Can you imagine how exciting that was for me!? I’m so in love!  Then she tells me she got it at a thrift store where they were asking $65 for it {in the original cabinet and all!} Being the hustler that she is my mom was able to walk out the door with this baby for a measly $25! I couldn’t believe it! WOW! Thanks, mom!

Stitch length selector- the numbers correspond to how many stitches per inch you can get.

We almost immediately called the only semi-local guy I know that works specifically on vintage machines and drove the 45 miles to take it right to him. If you are in the North Central FL area he is great! His name is Johnny Johnston, The Old Sewing Machine Man and you can click HERE for his website. He sells parts, machines and services any non-computerized machine and is waaaaaay more affordable than any other place I’ve researched. He is located between Gainesville and Ocala.

I love that I can take him this machine and he knows exactly what it is, when it was made, and what it needs.  From the looks of it she only needs a new belt, the front slide cover for the bobbin area, a thread spool, etc.  Some really inexpensive things. The motor runs great! So, we’ll see!

I did a little research and here’s what I found out:

-Based on the serial number beginning with the letters AE873756 the Singer website says this machine was made in 1938! (75 years old)

– It’s a Singer 66-18. The “18” signifies that it is the electrical version of the Singer 66 which was also made as a treadle machine.

– It has a black crinkle finish which is an industrial type finish. It is very hard and is baked on the machine. This black crinkle finish is also referred to as the Godzilla finish.

– This machine does NOT have a back tack (back stitching) feature and definitely no zig-zag.  Just a straight stitch. From the looks of it the Singer 66s made in 1940 and beyond had the back stitching functionality.

– The foot pedal as shown in the picture below looks like it’s just hanging and the cord is not long enough to reach the floor. The reason is that the foot pedal was set up on the right side inside the cabinet and was used by pushing the foot pedal knob in with your knee.

Singer 66-18 in what seems to be the original cabinet with pedal hanging.

I can’t wait to get her back and try sewing on her.  I looked up some YouTube videos and this guy Vince has a bunch on this exact model (his is from 1940) and shows how it sews right through 10 layers of denim like nothing! Check him out HERE.

I know I’m not the only one who collects sewing machines! How about you? Do you have a vintage machine in your collection?

17 Responses to Vintage Singer 66 STEAL!

1. michelle January 11, 2013 at 11:47 pm #

Congratulations! It is beautiful. I have a vintage sewing machine and have learned sew 🙂 much over the last year….I dont have a 66 yet, but I am on the look out. Most of my machines with cabinets are under $20. I have them all up and running – the best straight stitch ever! Even the treadle, so I am able to sew when the power goes….here is my collection…http://createquiltsew.wordpress.com/2013/01/03/vintage-sewing-machines/ Best, love your site!!!!

2. Stella Nemeth January 12, 2013 at 10:07 am #

I learned to sew on a White machine of that era. Back then it wasn’t a vintage machine, just a little bit old. That “foot pedal” should be a knee lever. It is possible that the foot pedal is not original to the machine. Or the machine is not original to that cabinet. Ask the repairman.

3. SewWithTina January 12, 2013 at 10:27 am #

I have the same sewing table. Any ways that’s awesome

4. syocom January 12, 2013 at 11:34 am #

That is so exciting. I have one vintage machine that is in storage at the moment. It is teal green. I don’t know much about it but love the look of it.

5. Regina Honey January 12, 2013 at 12:46 pm #

I have a beautiful green Singer 185J. It is gorgeous! I need to get a new slide plate for it. I heard it is common to find old Singers with the plate missing because many of them slide on a little different than usual and many cannot get them back on. There is a Yahoo group for vintage Singer owners that has a lot of info on troubleshooting problems and refurbishing. Congratulations on your new machine. I love it! Awesome deal!

6. Jonnie's Shabby Cottage Creations & More January 12, 2013 at 6:23 pm #

GORJUSS!! Really so gorgeous! I used to own an antique store many years ago and one like this in working order would sell for 3 times the asking price. I know you will enjoy this for a long time as they were made so well back then!

7. Anonymous January 12, 2013 at 10:42 pm #

My great grandmother used to be a seamstress for a living and she worked on a treadle machine. My grandmother would push the mechanism for her mother so she would not tire. What a joy for you to have this machine. Please demo with a video when you get it back-what a steal.

8. Adrianne Compton January 13, 2013 at 10:17 am #

WOW!! That is an AMAZING find!!! My Mom grew up with one of those I beleive. She always had DAD rig the Foot peddles of her newer Sewing machine to the side of the tables to use her knee.

9. deelish10 January 14, 2013 at 7:56 pm #

OK, I had an old NEC all metal blue machine and sold it for $25. I had forwards, backwards, and I think that was it. I traded on a Viking Lily 535. WOW…I am still learning about that machine! I can sew thru anything, and even I have sewn thru clover plastic pins, so be aware of fingers! Please explain the enthusiasm over these relics? Maybe I will understand?? I remember the treadles and these machines and in the 40’s newer machines came out with options and these oddities were dropped like hot cakes! Good Luck, and I am glad you are so pleased with your find! I too live in your area, so I can appreciate a good repair shop. Thanks

10. QLT812 January 15, 2013 at 5:12 am #

Looking at this machine brought back a lot of great memories from my grandmother :-)! Love, love it. Looking for one myself and the price is a winner! Have fun :-D!

11. Debra Robinson December 28, 2013 at 1:29 pm #

I just scored a Singer 66 electric for a ridiculous $50….so pretty too, lots of decals..

12. Margaret Hayter July 5, 2015 at 4:18 pm #

There’s a new girl at my house today. I bought a Singer 66 treadle with cabinet (obviously) this weekend at a tag sale — $50. This looks to be a beauty of a machine. It needs a really good cleaning inside and out. Boy, am I thrilled. It is in the limited edition lotus pattern. It was made in March, 1909 in Elizabeth, NJ, one of a batch of 20,000. In 1908 and 1909 they made 135,000 model 66 at the Elizabeth plant.

• Vanessa Vargas Wilson July 5, 2015 at 4:23 pm #

AHHH! Congratulations! How exciting! 🙂

13. Stephanie February 15, 2016 at 8:32 am #

Hey crafty Gemini!

I’ve been working on this 1939 San Franssico Expo badged Sibger 66 in a Godzilla finish for months and she finally ready to sew. I sure wish I could post a picture for you! She’s a beauty! I paired her with a gorilla finish foot control and also a Godzilla finish attachments tin.

She’s an oddity- San Francisco expo badge and at 1939- she should not have the “back tack” feature but she does. Found your post while researching her a little bit more. Closest is the 66-18 but like I said th back tack feature shouldn’t be present. Hope we can connect so I can share a pic! Thanks for your post!

14. jen June 1, 2016 at 8:53 am #

hi i have this same machine from grandmother it has a white lever though and it back tacks any info on it would be appreciated not sure if i want to stay with it or get rid of it

• rebecca January 19, 2017 at 6:21 am #

the white lever just signifies that it has reverse, or so ive read. I just got one made in 1951 ad it sews perfect after sitting for 20 or so years. I have to give it a good scrubbing and a good oiling before I sew with it in earnest. My goal is to learn to free motion quilt on it soon. I hope you continue to find joy in using yours.

1. Studio Spotlight Series! - Crafty Gemini - December 1, 2014

[…] have 11 sewing machines {don’t judge me!} but I really do love my vintage Singer 66-18! It’s 75 years old and still in the original cabinet. My mom found it at a thrift store for […]