My Vintage Singer 66 is BACK!

My new baby is back from Johnny’s shop and she’s running like a D-R-E-A-M! This man is such a sweetie!  Apparently, he got word that I mentioned him in this post so he cleaned and polished all the chrome parts and restored the Godzilla (black crinkle) finish on the machine…. for FREE!  She looks like a brand new machine. I could not be happier! See for yourself with this before and after picture.

AMAZING work he did, eh?! If you are in the North Central Florida area and are looking to have a vintage machine serviced or are on the market for one check him out at The Old Sewing Machine Man website. He also sells parts and accessories for machines and ships worldwide.  He does great work and it’s very affordable!

We’ve sewn on it a bit and W-O-W! First, you can barely hear the machine running!  Definitely cannot compare it to any of my newer machines.  This baby just purrs. It sounds like a treadle machine.  Which is kinda crazy to me since it has a motor! But yeah, so so quiet.

The stitch quality on this machine is RIDICULOUS! And it sews through so many layers of fabric! I plan to do a video review of the machine soon and will show you what it can sew through.

Well, I’m off to work in the garden with the kids so I’ll leave you with some pictures of my new baby!

BEFORE

AFTER! YAY!
My 1938 Singer 66-18 {electric} sewing machine.
Love the scrolling detail on the front plate! GORGEOUS!
Online Quilting Class

11 Responses to My Vintage Singer 66 is BACK!

1. Anonymous January 19, 2013 at 8:37 am #

you are toooo nice to me, thanks your for the wonderful write up, jj

2. Kathy January 19, 2013 at 11:57 am #

Wow! Nice job! The cabinet looks great all refinished too. If I had the space, I would be a collector of vintage machines too. One day I will inherit my mom’s (her mom’s before) Singer treadle. It will have to reside in my living room though, as my sewing room is tiny. It too is a work horse!

3. nahidworld January 19, 2013 at 1:03 pm #

Those who love to create will find sewing a worthwhile hobby to pursue. You can work with items as simple as cross stitch designs, or even make your own clothing. The type of sewing supplies that you will need depend on the area of sewing that you intend to pursue.

4. Anonymous January 19, 2013 at 6:19 pm #

I have two old ones that sit in old sewing machine tables!!

5. Clever Blonde -Donna G January 26, 2013 at 6:40 am #

Just dropped by for a second time to look at your gorgeous sewing machine. You must be so glad! It’s truely lovely.

6. Delia15 January 28, 2013 at 8:17 pm #

Hi, can you put some labels on this, I had a ‘tiny’ hard time finding it again. I needed the repairman’s addy. Thanks and the machine looks great. Your mom and you are great bargain finders! I’m inspired. Delia

7. Anonymous March 4, 2013 at 6:19 pm #

Very nice! Those old timers are far superior to the junk on the market today. Most of your projects only require a straight stitch and these vintage Singers are the best. You can pick up attachments to do most other jobs that you need. Enjoy many happy hours of stitching.

8. The Mom Bomb September 26, 2013 at 7:16 pm #

I just found your blog because I came across a 66-18 to purchase. I just brought it home today and you were one of the deciding factors. I am planning on using it for leather and some heavy duty things for making costumes and other random things. Additionally, when I go to visit my grandparents down in Florida (we are in Boston area, MA) I’m going to try to bring the machine with me to get it fixed up by Johnny’s Shop. Ironically my family name is the same as Johnny’s (Johnston). Now I just need time to figure out the ins and outs of the machine – I’m sure I’ll learn lots from your tutorials! Glad I found ya.

9. JJ February 20, 2015 at 3:03 pm #

Your Singer is a MODEL 66-8, a 66-18 has REVERSE.
    Your 66-8 has a long history. Write me if your still out there ?

• Sue Kaiser May 24, 2016 at 8:34 am #

I just picked up one of these at a second hand store. I cleaned and polished her up and she runs great. I am looking for some bobbins and other accessories for her now. I would love to hear the history.

• JJ May 24, 2016 at 2:30 pm #

EBAY is where you can find parts for your MODEL 66-8.

Bobbins for the Model 66 or 99 will fit your machine..

eBay item number:

252385574521 << here is where you can find a MODEL 66-8 Manual.
        DATED Rev.(438) = REVISED APRIL-1938..

Your 66-8 Should have a 910 MOTOR and a Chrome SEWHANDY Light..
        It Will Have a Solid OR Spoke Balance Wheel.. EITHER way they will be WRINKLE, Finished
        IF they are Original to the machine..
        BEWARE Many of these old machines have been Altered. If you want it Original, pay attention ??