How to Make an Infinity Scarf- DIY Sewing Tutorial

The weather hasn’t cooled down yet for us here in Florida but I know some other parts of the country have already seen snow! So, what better DIY (do-it-yourself) project than an infinity scarf to help keep you warm as the weather cools for Autumn/Winter.

It’s a great beginner project and you only need a few supplies aside from a sewing machine.  Even if you don’t have a machine you could sew it up by hand. It would (obviously) take a lot longer but it’s totally do-able! I love that this project is unisex.  Men, women and even kids can rock an infinity scarf.  Just play around with the width and length measurements to get the look you want.

As far as your fabric choice goes you could pretty much make the infinity scarf out of any fabric you want.  I use more light-medium weight fabrics because we don’t have real cold weather here. In the video I show you two different scarves one made with cotton gauze fabric and the other with a stretch knit.

I love that the scarf can be worn in a ton of different styles.  Here are the two most common.  But if you made it even longer you could do a lot more with it.

Infinity scarf worn as a single loop around neck.
Infinity scarf doubled up.

{Note: The adjustable dress form I have is this one. They also have the same one but for smaller sizes. }

Now, here is the step-by-step video tutorial on the infinity scarf. Enjoy it!  You can also click HERE to go directly to the video.

34 Responses to How to Make an Infinity Scarf- DIY Sewing Tutorial

1. МамаФиалка October 9, 2012 at 5:20 am #

Thanks!!!

2. Anonymous October 9, 2012 at 10:11 am #

hello Vanessa !
    thanks a lot for your ideas ! but, as I am watching you, from France, you speak a little too fast for me ! Are you always in a hurry ! thanks a lot, anyway.
    chantal, from France

• Anonymous May 20, 2013 at 2:23 pm #

Maybe you could turn on your captions on the video, and read what she is saying. Hope that helps.

3. NurseShelley October 9, 2012 at 12:38 pm #

Love the scarf and thank you!! I love to do block of the month (or two) for a quilt by the end of the year, would there be something like this in the furture??? I would be in!! lol

Also I noticed the Black and White quilt? is there only 5 blocks or do you just repeat sorry I tried to go through the blog and see but could not find anything saying?? Thank again for all the videos and tutu!!!!

4. DygN Design October 12, 2012 at 5:31 pm #

great

5. conishkee November 1, 2012 at 1:59 pm #

Hi Vanessa, I made my first infinity scarf last night, and while it came out nice, I feel that the material (stretch knit) may have been a wee-bit too thick, sort of “bulky” around my neck, to the point where it’s bothersome. Additionally, I would have loved to have made it longer, ‘cause doubled around my neck made me feel like I was almost choking! That expressed, I’m going to the fabric store today and select a more proper weight fabric. I LOVE the way yours hang, but mine just sits there with no movement, stiff-like, if you know what I mean. Anyway, I’m sure the next one I do will turn out fine. This scarf project is awesome and I plan to make some for X-mas gifts. (I don’t know where I’ve been, ‘cause I’ve never heard of an infinity scarf – Duh!) However, like you, I’m a crafter, too, BIG time, and I love learning new things. It gives me a lot of pleasure to express my creativity in several different areas. I think of how boring it would be to do the same thing all the time. Oh, that’s so not my cup of tea. Your site is just chock full of fabulous ideas and I’m all over the place with it.
    ;-D Thanks for taking the time to share it all. I wish you MUCHO success in your career!

6. conishkee November 2, 2012 at 11:37 am #

As I suspected, I purchased another knit fabric yesterday, worked on it last night and it came out perfect! Now I’ll go back to the fabric store and purchase more like it in other colors.

• Vanessa Wilson November 4, 2012 at 11:09 pm #

Glad to hear you got a fabric that worked nicely with this project!

7. Anonymous November 3, 2012 at 10:30 am #

Thank you so much for the easy tutorial.

8. Anonymous November 16, 2012 at 1:52 pm #

Can’t wait to get to the fabric store and then to my sewing machine!!!! Great tutorial, I had read some printed instructions and did not understand. Now I’m not afraid to give it a try!!!! Thank you.

9. kathodges December 12, 2012 at 5:33 pm #

I love this! I purchased some knit fabrics last week in hopes of making infinity scarves, but yours is the first tutorial that has actually been easy to follow along with AND produced a lovely project! Thank you for sharing this!

10. pixx December 18, 2012 at 4:13 pm #

Nice video! Just wanted to mention, as it may save you and your readers some time, this looks like a much easier way to sew up the ends: http://janssewingroom.wordpress.com/2011/11/30/new-infinity-scarf-instructions/

• Anonymous January 27, 2013 at 12:54 pm #

Wow thanks pixx that makes it so much clearer!

• Anonymous October 21, 2013 at 6:09 pm #

Thanks!

11. Anonymous December 22, 2012 at 9:01 pm #

I made three of these scarfs, two to give away as christmas presents. I absolutely love it! They turned out great. Thanks for the super helpful video.

12. Shelley G January 20, 2013 at 11:33 pm #

Oh my goodness. Thank you!
    No, wait…
    ***THANK YOU!!!!***
    This was by far the best tutorial I have found for an infinity scarf.
    I am off to make yet another!

13. Anonymous January 22, 2013 at 5:52 pm #

Absolutely wonderfull!!! I Luv U, Venessa.

14. Anonymous January 24, 2013 at 7:05 pm #

Your explanations were easy to follow. I will be making many of these since I have 4 teenage daughters. Thanks for your tutorial!

15. Anonymous February 15, 2013 at 1:38 am #

yes! I’m a dude and I just sewed my girlfriend a surprise one for her bday – my first sewing project… stoked! awesome tutorial

16. Carla Killens June 3, 2013 at 6:16 am #

Hi Vanessa,
    Thank you for this great tutorial !
    Just made my first infinity cowl, and all went well 🙂
    I posted a link to your tutorial on my blog (MaakselsCarlaK.blogspot.be), I hope that’s okay ?
    Love from Belgium!

17. Anonymous August 15, 2013 at 2:02 pm #

Instead of using a sewing machine, would it work the same way if I used a fabric glue or the iron on stitching things?

18. Lisa A August 21, 2013 at 1:19 pm #

Thanks Vanessa…..you’ve made so much easier!! Canada 🙂

19. Angela Wilson September 21, 2013 at 7:11 am #

Might try this today

20. Michelle Bruce September 23, 2013 at 4:50 pm #

You are such a Great Teacher

21. Michelle Bruce September 23, 2013 at 4:51 pm #

Thank you!

22. Anonymous November 24, 2013 at 9:00 am #

I was having trouble following along with parts of the process on other sites from pinterest that had no pictures, no video and piss-poor instructions…the simple addition of your video and voila! Success! Thanks Crafty Gemini!

23. Anonymous December 7, 2013 at 2:57 pm #

Thank you for your help! I am busy making scarves for Christmas now.

24. Anonymous December 14, 2013 at 3:00 am #

Thank You Crafty Gemini, you have the best instructions out of all the other sites I’ve visited over the past few days. I just finished a scarf and it was a success. From now on I will check out your site first for sewing instructions. Thanks again.

25. Jane In Utah December 21, 2013 at 12:17 pm #

Yes I do agree your instructions are the best. Thanks.

26. Anonymous December 24, 2013 at 12:34 pm #

How can you make this look so simple? Thank you so much as I would never have figured this out. My mom and I are in the process of making your cute scarf right now.
    Donna

27. Anna December 8, 2014 at 8:05 pm #

I watched your scarf video – loved it please add me to your mailing list

28. Laetitia May 24, 2015 at 4:18 pm #

I want use voile or rayon. Do I need a special sewing machine needle?

29. Gay Ferland March 11, 2016 at 1:21 pm #

Love it!!!!!!

1. Starting the Year with Losses; What Would You Do? | Project Remnant Redo - January 19, 2015

[…] found a good pattern on Craftsy and another good one from this blogger Crafty Gemini. It took me about 5 minutes, max, to make […]