Coca-Cola Rack Makeover

My mom is always scoring all kinds of finds.  Yesterday when she came to visit she pulls out this rusty old Coca-Cola rack.  She paid $2 for it at an estate sale. They had tons of tools on it and she asked if the rack was for sale.  She was ready to offer $10 and was quoted $2.  Trash or treasure?!  So easy… definitely TREASURE!

Looks to be some kind of old Coca-Cola soda rack.  I know some collector out there would love to have it but I needed more fabric storage in my new studio. Sorry y’all! According to one of my Facebook fans’ Coca-Cola collecting husband it’s worth around $160- $225. But since I painted it’s only worth… the $2 my mom paid for it. HA! Oh well… at least it’s in a loving home now.

Once we pulled it out of the truck I saw the potential immediately!  It was rusty- so what. A little mangled- no biggie.  I can work with all that. I just wanted to make sure all the shelves fit and were in enough of a working condition to hold some decent weight.

I began my mission to get this baby made over and into the studio.  All it took was brushing it down with a dry paint brush to get all the dirt, dust, cob webs and leaves out from all the nooks and crannies. Then I wiped it down with a damp cloth. Let it air dry for a few minutes. Two of these later….

A gorgeous new fabric storage rack for my studio. Woo-hoo! One of the easiest projects I’ve ever completed!

…and in his new home

Hope you get some inspiration from my quickie recycled project!  Next time you see an old rusty rack for sale or tossed on the side of the road grab it, give it a makeover and use it for whatever storage you need.

Feel free to pin!

9 Responses to Coca-Cola Rack Makeover

1. icemaiden316 June 3, 2012 at 8:32 am #

It looks fabulous Vanessa

2. beebee June 3, 2012 at 8:58 am #

what a great find. when I saw it I immediately thought of using it to store fabric…we think alike!
    Love the red. very festive color.
    I will have to keep an eye out for shelving we can paint!
    hugs from Louisiana
    beebee
    PS. I hope you had a wonderful birthday….

3. beaquilter June 3, 2012 at 10:28 am #

awesome job Vanessa, but I don’t see how a rusty ol thing like that could have been worth so much money before and can’t be used, now at least you can use it and it looks great! it’s custom made for you, I’d say it’s worth $300!! 🙂

4. Marian June 3, 2012 at 2:50 pm #

Te ha quedado una estantería bien chula. Y por 2 dólares. Tu madre es una cazagangas, jeje.
    Un besazo.

5. Irene June 3, 2012 at 3:12 pm #

Oh wow very cool

6. Valerie Joan June 3, 2012 at 10:40 pm #

haaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaa Love it! Especially the colour!!!
    I have to show your posting to my husband with an “I am not the only one”…..I love to recycle, reuse, give things a second chance, new life, a new use! YOU are a woman after my own heart! And doing our bit for our environment…one wee bit at a time!
    Jane

7. Julie Jamison June 4, 2012 at 9:33 pm #

Luv luv luv! Awesome job Vanessa!!

1. Dish Rack Remix - Crafty Gemini - December 1, 2014

[…] kinda enjoying these thrifty little remixes I’ve been doing lately. First the rusty old soda rack, then the wooden basket thingy and now this… a dish rack? […]

2. Thrift Store Basket Remix - Crafty Gemini - December 2, 2014

[…] the way I want.  Not only aesthetically but functionally as well.  You already saw how I took a rusty old rack and turned it into fabric storage.  Well, with the new (to me) table I scored this past weekend I was also in need of some more […]