Zippered Box Pouch Tutorial

Last year I posted a quilted zipper wristlet tutorial which has been very popular.  I’ve also received pictures and emails from dozens of you who turned that wristlet into a coin purse, cosmetic bag, diaper & wipes bag, etc.  You also requested a box version of the zippered pouch and I’ve finally delivered!

If you are a newbie and dread any project that requires a zipper… don’t! This is really easy to make and I designed my video tutorial especially thorough just for you!  The video is over 13 minutes long but trust me…. I walk you through every step!  Just grab your supplies, laptop/iPad and make it alongside me.

To complete this box pouch you’ll need:
– 2 fabric pieces measuring 14″ x 15″
– 1 batting piece measuring ~15″ x 16″
– One 12 zipper
– Pins or Lapel Stick
– coordinating thread
– rotary cutter + mat + rulers
– sewing machine with zipper foot attachment

When you finish yours upload a picture to my Facebook page so we can see your cute little box pouch! We have at least five of these in my house already.  My son loves the one I made for him to keep his markers and crayons in. What are you going to use yours for?

CLICK HERE TO WATCH THE VIDEO TUTORIAL FOR THIS BOXY POUCH!

Craftsy Logo

36 Responses to Zippered Box Pouch Tutorial

1. beebee May 23, 2012 at 9:10 am #

your tutorials are great. thanks for posting them on your blog.
    I am going to make a pouch like this one and post a photo on my blog. I hope to do it soon!
    thanks again
    hugs
    beebee

2. Marian May 23, 2012 at 10:31 am #

Great tutorial! Maybe someday I’ll be making one of these for my sis.
    Gracias por compartirlo. Besos.

3. Anonymous May 23, 2012 at 7:01 pm #

You are great!! Looking forward to making a few of these, thank you for your creative genius!

4. Karmi84 May 23, 2012 at 8:11 pm #

hi from your newest follower this is a really neat idea, will have to come back to it when i have some more time

5. Barbara OC May 24, 2012 at 9:34 am #

You make everything look sew easy to do

6. Anonymous May 24, 2012 at 4:36 pm #

You have done a great job!! Really enjoy your tutorials!
    Thank You!

• Vanessa Wilson May 26, 2012 at 12:07 am #

Thanks!

• Bronwyn October 11, 2012 at 11:35 am #

Hey Vanessa.
      On your video, the grey polka dot pouch has a red tab at the end. I would like to add this to the pouch that I am making, so I can attach the pouch to my daughter’s violin case. What is the best way to do this?
      Thanks.

7. Ma.Eugenia E. May 27, 2012 at 8:51 am #

Great Job, I love your work!!!!!

8. SANDRA June 1, 2012 at 10:40 am #

Hi Vanessa!
    I love your tutorials. Your job is wonderful.
    Hugs from Brazil!
    Sandra

9. Lilmouse August 6, 2012 at 2:12 am #

I have not sewn in a zipper since high school when they used to teach Home Economics which consisted of a sewing class and a cooking class…only sewed in one zipper then and hated it….just made your zipper box pouch and it came out pretty good…can’t upload pictures but I am pretty proud of it! Thank you very much…will be checking your blog every now and again.

10. Elly D September 16, 2012 at 8:45 am #

What a super tutorial!! Thank you so much 🙂

11. Anonymous September 16, 2012 at 8:54 am #

Have just made one of the these boxes – only took around 90 minutes (or two episodes of Star Trek:Next Generation < smile >). Have made several zippered pouches in the past but sewing the second side of the zip was always such a “pig in a poke” as we say here in England.

Sadly, it never occured to me to open the zip – bit of an idiot moment there. May make a few for my house group’s Christmas presents.

12. Bronwyn October 11, 2012 at 11:36 am #

Hey Vanessa.
    Thanks

13. Joan October 21, 2012 at 7:48 pm #

Thanks for the excellent tutorial. It was so easy to follow. I added a little handle and a ribbon to the zipper pull. I’m making the little bags for my grandchildren for Christmas.

14. woolywoman November 5, 2012 at 6:13 pm #

I’ve been sewing for twenty years and I STILL learn something from your tutorials. You are a very good teacher! Thank you for putting these up!

15. redstartx December 4, 2012 at 5:57 pm #

Just ran across this video on YouTube looking for info on installing zippers into pouch items. Your tute is fantastic! Very easy to follow and your directions are very clear. I’m looking forward to doing this soon, as my sewing space recovers from the pre-Thanksgiving purge. lol

16. Simply Creations May 4, 2013 at 11:49 pm #

This comment has been removed by the author.

17. Deborhkatharine May 8, 2013 at 2:30 pm #

Many thanks for such a well done teaching tutorial.

18. yusimi barrios August 5, 2013 at 3:13 pm #

thank you so much for the video! that was great! I haven’t done anything with a zipper yet, this’ll be my first zipper project. I have only one question: can you post the inside final measurements for the pouch? I want to try and make a little pouch for 3×5 study cards. 🙂 Thanks again for all your wok.

19. Trish August 10, 2013 at 1:01 pm #

Hi! I am a beginner and your tutorial is awesome and very detailed. That is why I managed to make a small zipper pouch. Thank you!! Keep on posting your tutorials – you are the best teacher!!!

20. 476c1272-0bfa-11e3-90aa-000bcdca4d7a August 23, 2013 at 9:45 am #

Hi there. I’m new to sewing and your tutorials are SO helpful – thank you! I was wondering what kind of batting you used for this project. I just made my own zippered box pouch (hooray!), but my batting seems to be a lot thicker and floppier than yours.

21. luvtosew September 17, 2013 at 10:52 am #

HI I love your tutorials..super simple and very clear. I would just like to know What is the batting you have used in this project? Where can I buy one ?

22. Debra Cotter March 25, 2015 at 11:53 am #

Am I missing something here? Where are the instructions, I can’t find them anywhere.

• Profile photo of Vanessa Vargas Wilson
      Vanessa Vargas Wilson March 25, 2015 at 9:49 pm #

It’s a video tutorial that you can view here.

• Melanie April 23, 2015 at 9:15 am #

I don’t see it either…

23. Carolyn P. April 27, 2015 at 12:53 pm #

I can’t find the link either.

• Carolyn P. April 27, 2015 at 1:50 pm #

I click on the “click here for video” and nothing happens.

24. Silvana August 30, 2015 at 8:20 am #

Love love your tutorial. I’ve been searching for a well explained tut and instructions. Thank you,I feel I can do this due the clarity of your instructional tut. 👍

25. Jaime September 26, 2015 at 3:59 pm #

HI, like to send pictures of my bag made from your instructions, I added material to zipper ends and a tag. Lining very bright and Used embroidery and decorative stitches so good on outside as well as inside.

I believe you’d like it.

26. Sally in WA June 9, 2016 at 11:50 am #

Great little tutorial! Thanks for sharing it. You might want to include the finished size of your pouch though. 🙂

27. Mila Kette September 16, 2016 at 3:04 pm #

My daughter asked me for a lunch bag to take her lunch to work. I have some oilcloth and think this project will do perfectly–just need to change the width and length. Thank you so much for sharing!

28. Shifa September 26, 2017 at 8:18 pm #

LOve this! I have seen many zipper pouch tutorials but this is the best!

what batting did you use here?

29. Lorrie Conklin October 4, 2017 at 4:34 am #

Hi Vanessa, I recently lost my darling husband of 53 years to cancer and am feeling so lost. I have decided to return to sewing and quilting and have always enjoyed your tutorials. I have sewn since I was just a little bitty girl when my mom taught me first hand sewing and then how to use her singer treadle machine. I love sewing and have learned so much from your easy to understand and follow tutorials. Right now they are giving me back a small bit of my enjoyment in life. Thank you so very much. Your happy spirit comes across in your videos and makes me feel better. Again, Thank you. Lorrie