Quilted Zipper Wristlet or Cosmetic Bag

As promised in last week’s video I posted two video tutorials this week.  One is a cooking video which is posted on my cooking blog- Crafty Cocina. And the other is on How to Make a Quilted Zipper Wristlet or Cosmetic Bag!

Many of you have mentioned that you want to learn how to make something with a zipper.  I listened and made this tutorial just for you.  These little pouches are so versatile and can be made bigger and smaller to hold whatever you want.

I also submitted this video as an audition for a new online craft channel that you may have heard about already- My Craft Channel is a new online tv network launching this fall and it’s solely dedicated to crafting shows!  I don’t know about you… but I can’t wait!  If I’m chosen I could be one of the hosts on their new network. Would that be awesome or what? Fingers crossed.

Here is the video tute. Enjoy!

, , , , , , , , , , , , ,

35 Responses to Quilted Zipper Wristlet or Cosmetic Bag

1. jzzy55 August 8, 2011 at 5:12 pm #

You read mind, Miss Vanessa! I’ve been desperately trying to learn how to put in zippers. Although I am old enough to have had Home Ec back in the day (you youngsters may be asking, “what was Home Ec?” – it was sewing and cooking for girls), while the boys had shop where they learned to use power tools)…I kinda failed zippers!

• Patty Borjas February 2, 2015 at 12:07 pm #

I took Home Ec and I remember all that we did. We did make jelly, which I thought was a great experience. And we made a meal for the teachers, but it’s hard to really know how to make everything if the teacher had to break up who was making what. I do remember making a Pant Suit, I made it with sear sucker material. Do you remember what that is? Anyway I enjoyed the experience and found out later my mom had held on to the headband I had made with the same material. To this day I enjoy sewing, and I began quilting the latter part of 2014. Zippers won’t be too hard just remember what they are suppose to look like. I just installed a new zipper on my husbands jacket. I had to stop and remind myself where it was suppose to be on the opening. Of course you have to remember to match up everything. It can be tricky but just take it slow. Good luck.

2. Crafty Gemini August 8, 2011 at 5:26 pm #

haha. I’m only 28 and I actually took Home Ec too! We didn’t do any sewing though.. just cooking/baking. I hope this tutorial will get you on board with zippers.

• Sherry in TN April 8, 2012 at 8:24 pm #

I made this today and it was just as easy as you showed. I mastered the zipper!!! I would love to upload a picture but can’t find out how. Can you help me? thanks so much Sherry in TN

3. Anonymous August 9, 2011 at 6:56 am #

Jzzyy55 is true! Truely you read mind, I was planning my next project was a quilted purse.Thank you for the tutorial.

4. camie August 9, 2011 at 2:57 pm #

I got a sewingmachine for my 18th birthday last year and today I tried to make your little postcards ( altough I only had scrap pieces of fabric who really didn’t match a lot ^^ ) and it was really fun to make!!! I’m obsessed with your projects now! luckily for me, it’s raining all the time here in belgium so it’s perfect wheater to stay inside and sew a bit. I sew during the day and knit in the evening ( try to knit, almost there ). crafting is so much fun! I also cook , because I’m always alone at home ( don’t want to starve to death ) and I don’t want to eat the same thing every day. As a vegetarian I try to be creative with all kinds of food. OH ! I also make cute little bentoboxes for my little sisters. they absolutely don’t like to eat, so I make them all natural, colorful little lunches. I noticed they tend to eat more when I do that. anyway, I’m talking to much again ( because I’m so excited to try all the things you make !)
    On to the next project!!
    lots of love,
    Camie

5. Crafty Gemini August 9, 2011 at 6:26 pm #

Glad I could help, ladies!

• Kathleen January 2, 2016 at 2:38 pm #

Loveeee! Your videos! Have learned sewwww much #craftygemini#. Don’t know why you’re not on fresh faces mycraftchannel they must not know who you are! Unless of course you don’t want to be there so grateful for your tutorials! Thanks a million

6. Anonymous August 11, 2011 at 9:49 am #

Needed a break from my current quilt project(21 pieces per block). I made a bag with handle; great instructions. It took me about 1/1/2 hours to make. I have made many purses with zippers and this by far the easiest!
    Thanks,
    Donna~Bloomington,IN

7. Crafty Gemini August 11, 2011 at 7:07 pm #

Donna: Thanks for the comment! I’m sure after making one you will now be able to make them in 30-40 minutes. :o) Good luck with your quilt project…

8. Anonymous August 14, 2011 at 4:46 am #

Great project! This video was excellent! It was fun following such clear instructions on this project. I did one Quilted Zipper Wristlet. The only thing it did not turn out very good for me, is when when I turned the bag right side out, the beginning and end of the zipper look a little too bulky. I am not sure what I did wrong. Oh, well, I guess I can learn from it for my next one.
    Thanks,
    Luisa~Vancouver, BC

9. Crafty Gemini August 14, 2011 at 10:20 am #

Luisa: Thanks… Make sure you poke out the zipper ends while you flip everything inside out or you won’t be able to reach it once the lining is sewn shut and tucked in. Also, be sure to trim the zipper ends like I show in the video. Hope this helps!

10. Anonymous August 14, 2011 at 3:13 pm #

Hello Crafty Gemini! I see where I went wrong. I saw the zipper ends, Ups! Yes, your tips help, I will follow your tips suggested here for my next one.
    Thank you!
    Luisa

11. BeckyWise. September 10, 2011 at 5:45 pm #

So cool! I’ve wanted to learn how to make one of these properly, as the last time I made a cosmetic bag I had sewn it wrong! Your videos really helped and it’s now really clear what to do! Thankyou! I will try a go at making one soon and upload it on my blog & post it on facebook, thanks!
    Becky

12. Crafty Gemini September 13, 2011 at 7:57 pm #

Thanks BeckyWise! Glad I could help! :o)

13. Anonymous September 18, 2011 at 11:05 pm #

Thanks for the great tutorial…you make it look so easy! 🙂

14. Lauren Miller October 2, 2011 at 3:53 pm #

i love this and i was on your facebook page and saw the more square, boxy cosmetic bag and im anxious to make that in addition to this wristlet, do you have a tutorial how to do that as well? i’m not sure how you would do the sides.

15. Anonymous October 31, 2011 at 5:06 am #

Thanks Vanessa. I have recently learnt to sew and your tutorials and advice is priceless. I have made one of these bags for myself and am now making them to give away as gifts. Keep up the good work. Celeste – South Africa.

16. Anonymous November 11, 2011 at 2:09 pm #

Found you through The Curious Quilter, you have some great tutorials! Thanks for sharing.

– Martin

17. jackie December 14, 2011 at 11:23 am #

Thank you!! Great tutorial

18. Anonymous December 24, 2011 at 5:31 pm #

I made two of these for my kids as Christmas gifts. They are a little larger (13×9) and I lined them with a shower curtain so that they would be waterproof. I love your tutorials!

19. Anonymous January 13, 2012 at 4:20 pm #

I love your videos. You explain everything so we can understand why we do or do not do some things. Was wondering if we could get written instructions also so we don’t have to keep referring to the video when we are first learning these projects. Thanks. You are doing a great service for those of us less experienced at sewing.

20. Connie April 29, 2012 at 5:15 am #

Hi Vanessa! Thank you for a great tutorial. I made this yesterday and it came out good! Even the zipper. Your blog is excellent.
    Connie

• Connie April 29, 2012 at 11:11 am #

update: i made this and it came out great! Thanks Vanessa!

21. Anonymous May 24, 2012 at 2:24 pm #

hola vannessa gracias por tu video, hoy aprendi algo nuevo te felicito por tu arte y tu linda familia

Virginia Lizano desde Costa Rica

22. Anonymous June 12, 2012 at 1:24 pm #

I would love to have print instructions as well! The video is amazing so I can see how to do it but I like to have print instructions in front of me as I work to follow along with as well!

23. Lisha July 30, 2012 at 5:23 pm #

I accidentally bought a nine inch zipper. Should I just make my pieces one in longer?

Thanks!

24. Anonymous September 10, 2012 at 1:07 pm #

Just finished making a small one as a coin purse for a little girl.
    Its the first time I’ve ever quilted and it looks great.
    chose a fabric with cupcakes on for the outer.
    thanks for this tutorial!
    Jen

25. arizona gynecologist October 4, 2012 at 10:06 am #

I should have this for myself. So pretty!

26. Ms. Gonzalez April 10, 2013 at 10:37 pm #

I love your sewing tutorials. You are such a great teacher! I’m a teacher and I know good teaching when I see it! I began my sewing adventures with your pajama tutorial. I would love to see more tutorials like that one for women’s clothing with simplicity patterns…just an idea! =) Keep the great tutorials coming!

27. ricky martin July 30, 2013 at 6:08 am #

Thank you so much for this post. I’m on my way to SNAP tomorrow and these are great tips for packing my traveling office!

If you are looking for Beauty Products at reasonable rates then visit our website http://www.saintgermainmakeup.com, we are the No.1 ledaing comapny in USA & Canada for providing any type of Beauty Products.

Foundation Application Brush & Buy Cosmetic Bags

28. Mark faye October 29, 2013 at 8:57 am #

I prefer natural cosmetics product for any kind of beauty accessories. It will be provide affordable cosmetics collection.

Buy cosmetic bags & kabuki brush for liquid foundation

29. Heidi March 14, 2015 at 6:33 pm #

I made three of these today after being away from the sewing machine for a couple years. What a great project and they turned out wonderfully! Thank you for the tutorial.

Heidi

1. Zippered Box Pouch Tutorial - Crafty Gemini - December 1, 2014

[…] year I posted a quilted zipper wristlet tutorial which has been very popular.  I’ve also received pictures and emails from dozens of you who […]