Making soap from scratch!

This is seriously my new obsession!
It’s like my husband says, “I knew you were addicted when I came out of the room at 11:30pm and you were making soap. ”
Well, I’m hoping some of you get bit by the soapmaking bug too and try your hand at this recipe I came up with.  It only requires four ingredients- canola oil, oilve oil, distilled water and sodium hydroxide (lye).  I kept it nice and basic and didn’t add any fragrances or colorants. I just wanted to show you other beginners how the process works and show you what the finished product looks like.

…and here is my latest soap batch. I call it Baby Puff.  It is scented with a baby powder fragrance oil and has poppy seeds for exfoliation.  I created a mold out of a recycled milk carton.  I can hardly wait to see if it turned out okay once I cut into it! They are just perfect! I love these random soap experiments.

Let me know if you make your own soap or gave my recipe a try! I’d love to know how it turned out!
If you are interested in purchasing some handmade soaps check out my friend’s shop.  She makes some amazing works of art!  She just started a blog too and you can find that here. Just contact her here to place an order.
ENJOY THE VIDEO!

, , , ,

17 Responses to Making soap from scratch!

1. Yael July 13, 2011 at 2:21 pm #

It is a good idea to keep some vinegar on hand when you make soap, so that if the lye splatters or gets on you, the acid can counteract they lye. Of course, flush with water afterwards. It is also good to use glass bowls so plastic won’t interact with the lye or soap. I like the crinkle cutters. Would be handy to have.

2. Crafty Gemini July 20, 2011 at 9:24 am #

Great tip, Yael! Thanks!!

3. Cassie July 12, 2012 at 1:18 am #

I’ve noticed that you’ve been posting a lot of soap pictures on Facebook recently. Are you planning on doing a more in depth tutorial with the process and measurements?

If not that’s cool I just prefer watching your tutorials to most other peoples LOL.

~Cassie~

4. Anonymous July 28, 2012 at 4:27 pm #

Love your video tutorial! You make it look so easy!

I was wondering how your soap turned out?
    – hard bar?
    – long and stable lather?

Thanks again! You should post more videos on soap making! <3

5. Barbara October 7, 2012 at 1:27 pm #

Great & easy canola and olive oil recipe. It was my first batch and it made a good hard bar – rinses clean and lasts a long time; there aren’t too many bubbles. I’d like to make a larger batch and was wondering if you have already made one. If so, how did it turn out? Were the results also as great?

Also, the Baby Puff looks fantastic!

6. Tracy November 3, 2012 at 2:45 pm #

That is awesome! I will try this soon for sure! I love your craftsy class, maybe as you get more into soap making you can make us a beginner soap craftsy class 🙂

You are so awesome and sweet!

Hugs!
    Tracy

7. Anonymous November 21, 2012 at 11:18 am #

Hi Vanessa,

I loved the vidoe and I’m going to try to make my own soap this weekend,

You are awesome!
    Suzan

8. Tanusree Das December 28, 2012 at 2:09 am #

Hi Venessa, where do you keep the lye solution? It is combustible. I have been planning to make soap at home for a long time, but I don’t know where and how to keep the lye solution at home. Please suggest.

Tanusree

9. Vanessa Wilson December 28, 2012 at 8:46 pm #

I don’t store the lye solution anywhere. I only use the lye that I need for each individual recipe. When the lye is in the container it comes in when you buy it is fine sitting somewhere at room temperature. It only starts to heat up when it is added to the water. Hope that helps.

10. Anonymous January 6, 2013 at 8:58 pm #

WOW! You made it look so easy! Thank you for the great tutorial :).

11. Deborah Jennings January 27, 2013 at 4:57 pm #

I make my own soap. Cold Compress. I love it!

12. Anonymous August 24, 2013 at 9:21 pm #

I was planning to try this out but I dont know if I could use olivextra premium oil its has olive oil ,grapeseed oil and conola oil.

13. Eman Kordi November 30, 2013 at 6:55 pm #

Hi Vanessa. You do a great job making crafts and I luv them all. I just want to ask you if u made a homemade shampoo and conditioner recipe. If u have ever made it, can u please give me the recipe. U also have cute and beautiful children. God bless them and u. Thanks for sharing.

14. Greg June 6, 2015 at 4:07 pm #

How do you make a large batch of soap, like a 4 or 6 pound loaf

15. Noemi Portillo November 26, 2015 at 9:04 pm #

how we clean the utensils used after to do the soap?