Quilted Picnic Placemat Tutorial

Today is my 28th birthday! WOW!  I can hardly believe how time flies when you start having kids.  It’s like I blinked and the past 3 years have just zoomed past me!  When I stop and reflect on all I have accomplished in 28 short years I am proud to say I am very happy with where I am in my life right now.

I have an amazing husband who supports everything I do and is constantly encouraging me to challenge myself and take on new endeavors.  I have an intelligent, gorgeous and healthy baby boy who makes us laugh hysterically every single day!  I’m growing a little princess in my belly and we are anxious to meet her in a few short months….. and my business is on the right track!

All in all I am a very happy camper!
So, as I leave to the playground with my son to enjoy my day today I leave you with a new video tutorial.  This one was the collaborative video we filmed in NYC as part of the YouTube Creator Camp I attended.

Watch me teach 3 guys (also NextUp winners- Jimmy, Bryan, and Zach) how to sew a picnic place mat!! It’s great to see them being such great sports about it…. and they all did great!

You even get to rank their finished projects in order: 1st, 2nd and 3rd!  Check it out and let me know what you think.

, , , , , , , , ,

20 Responses to Quilted Picnic Placemat Tutorial

1. paulette June 1, 2011 at 10:08 am #

Happy Birthday!! And congratulations on the little Princess in the making!! Your life sounds wonderful!!
    Paulette

2. Mrs. Sassy Crafter June 1, 2011 at 10:13 am #

I can’t wait until you have that baby girl, why? because I know you will be making awesome tutorials for girls too haha….Happy birthday, I hope you have an awesome day with your loved ones……haha their faces are so funny/cute when watching you sew hehe, and they did a great job!
    1st place:Zack
    2nd place:Jimmy
    3rd place:Bryan

3. Stephanie June 1, 2011 at 10:55 am #

Happy Birthday, love your vids! Congrats is also in order I see!! =)

4. Anonymous June 1, 2011 at 11:56 am #

Happy Birthday Vanessa and congratulations.

I think I’ll vote for

Zach
    Jimmy
    Brian

For some reason I can post with my google account. It keeps telling me to sign in and I’m already signed in. It’s not just your blog it’s everyones.. Has anyone had a problem?

thanks

5. Amanda Villarreal June 1, 2011 at 2:38 pm #

Love this tutorial! I cant wait to make this and Happy Birthday!

I vote for Jimmy!

6. Claire @ polkadot-pretties June 1, 2011 at 4:42 pm #

Happy birthday 😉
    Hope you have had lovely day? Great tutorial as always!!! They were all so good, very hard to choose, I vote Jimmy..
    Thanks for providing inspiration…
    Claire x

7. Uma Preve June 1, 2011 at 8:12 pm #

Happy Birthday to you! I vote for Jimmy! Cool choice of fabric!

8. Kamala June 1, 2011 at 11:18 pm #

Happy Birthday Vanessa……..
    Congratulations on the new arrival too….wow…can’t wait to make bunch of these for child’s b’day party at the school and also all the kids get to take them home as little return gifts… Thanks for the great tutorial. Jimmy wins as I like his selection of fabrics…..they are so cool and matches my taste..

9. Jennie June 1, 2011 at 11:53 pm #

Happy Birthday!!! and Congrats!!! You have such a sweet spirit and soul. May God continue to Bless You.

10. Steph/Lotus June 2, 2011 at 7:09 am #

Happy birthday ! Wonderful tuto ! Have a nice day

11. Mariane Prospero Polins June 2, 2011 at 1:51 pm #

I love your videos, tks!

12. Pat V. June 3, 2011 at 5:00 pm #

Happy Birthday (belatedly!) I just realized I am exactly twice your age. 🙂

Thought you might like to see how I used your Horizon block in my Patchwork Squared quilt.

13. Shan A. June 4, 2011 at 2:18 pm #

1st Jimmy
    2nd Zack
    3rd Brian

14. Anonymous June 8, 2011 at 3:55 am #

HAPPY BIRHDAY TO U!!!!!!!!!!!! AND BABY GIRL SOON BE BORN I CANT WAIT TO SEE YOUR NEW BORN!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND CUTE SON TOO
    THANK U FOR THE CAPTIONS I HOPE MAKE IT FOR ALL VIDEOS AND NEXT WEEK I WILL START MAKING FLOWERS ON MY HAIR..
    TAKE CARE
    MARIA

15. ^A^ngel June 16, 2011 at 12:40 pm #

This was really nice!! The guys did pretty good..

Love Jimmy’s color combo…

Jimmy
    Zack
    Brian

16. livinganarmywifelife June 18, 2011 at 2:36 pm #

This is going to sound really strange. I haven’t sewn anything since freshman year of high school. I know nothing — but I want to learn.

When you finish a stitch (like when dividing the utensil holder, for example), what do you do when you get to the end of the stitch? Do you have to do something with the thread? Cut it? Knot it?

Thanks!

17. Crafty Gemini June 18, 2011 at 9:16 pm #

@livinganarmywifelife: You can backstitch like I mention in the video to secure the stitches and keep them from unraveling… and then cut the threads so you don’t have any hanging. That’s pretty much it. :o)

18. Unmove-AbleInHisWord June 20, 2011 at 10:39 pm #

Congratulations on the new bundle soon to be in this world. Many blessings to you on your delivery.

19. Cindy Bejarano March 7, 2015 at 12:06 pm #

Any hints on washing or cleaning them??

1. Crafty Gemini mini-me?! - Crafty Gemini - December 1, 2014

[…] minutes later because she was awfully quiet and it turns out she was working on my latest tutorial- How To Make Picnic Placemats for Summer! Too […]