How to Make a Shopping Cart Cover for Babies and Toddlers

We’ve been busy looking at farm house properties to buy but I’m sticking to my guns and posting a new video tutorial each Monday…. so here is this week’s….

How to Make a Shopping Cart Cover for Babies and Toddlers
My tutorial doesn’t require you to buy any pattern and just about anyone can make one.  There are definitely a ton of other ways to make these including using cotton fabrics, batting, bias tape binding, etc.  I tried to keep it simple with the use of fleece especially for beginners because you don’t even have to sew around the cut edges (like I do in the video) because fleece doesn’t fray.  There are also different ways of adding the elastic, etc.  So, this is just one version to make the shopping cart cover.
Enjoy!

, , , , , , , ,

62 Responses to How to Make a Shopping Cart Cover for Babies and Toddlers

1. Fabi June 20, 2011 at 2:36 pm #

Excellent Vanessa! I want to find an elephant print fabric to make two of these, thanks so much for the tutorial!

2. Fabi June 20, 2011 at 2:55 pm #

by the way your baby boy is adorable!

3. Unmove-AbleInHisWord June 20, 2011 at 9:52 pm #

Wonderful project! Your son is sooo BEAUTIFUL!!! I love babies!! lol! Thank you once again for being super AWESOME and giving me an others inspiration to be creative.

4. Anonymous June 21, 2011 at 3:20 am #

Vanessa, you always wanted to help children! Well, Some how some way you are doing a great job to help keep them healthy! GREAT JOB MOMMY!

5. Andrea M June 22, 2011 at 10:56 am #

I LOVE the new music in your tutorials. I know it might seem unusual to comment on the music, but I always turned down the other music. I LOVE the idea of the shopping cart cover. What do I need to do to get your permission to teach this class at my church? There are a LOT of young mothers with babies. I want to show your tutorial to the ladies, then I would teach the class. Are there any forms or anything that I need? Of course, you will get all the credit for the ideas, and I have referred several of my friends to your site already. I LOVE how you teach as you make beginners feel confident in their emerging skills and yet, someone who is more advanced, learns stuff too. You are amazing. Makes me want to be excited for Mondays to see what new stuff is being showcased.

6. Margaret Lara June 26, 2011 at 9:56 pm #

I love your tutorial on this shopping cart cover and what a handsome model you had to help you and I love his hair!!!

7. Anonymous June 28, 2011 at 1:56 pm #

Thank you so much for posting this tutorial! I am a beginner and really wanted to make two of these for baby gifts. You are a great teacher and perhaps I can see one of your videos where you add the bias tape to the item! Also,your little assistant is ADORABLE!

8. Abby July 20, 2011 at 12:05 pm #

This is a great tutorial! Thanks so much for sharing!

9. Loralynn August 11, 2011 at 8:34 pm #

Wonderful project and tutorial! I see one of these in my niece’s future for her soon to be here baby. Thanks!

10. migdelis September 6, 2011 at 11:00 am #

I made this cover following your instructions and just want to say THANK YOUSO MUCH FOR SUCH A EASY AND WONDERFUL TUTORIAL.
    My son loves it and I get a lot of compliments when we go shopping!!
    Thank you again!

11. narrawallee September 10, 2011 at 9:26 am #

Never heard of these before until my daughter had her baby and then I started to see them every where they are great I wish we had them for our kids.

12. Anonymous September 21, 2011 at 12:14 am #

This was my first visit, and you are a really neat lady, and loved the video, I don’t have young children, nor do I have any grandkids..yet! But I think I can come up with a baby or two to make these for, Thanks for the awesome next project for me !!!

13. Anonymous September 21, 2011 at 1:20 am #

Vanessa this is also my first time to visit your site, you move at a pace that is easy to follow.
    We are doing some time overseas and I don’t have my sewing machine with me and I just love to sew, this has given me a reason to go out and buy one here!
    My 4 children are now young adults and I don’t have any grandbabies yet ~ but this is the perfect opportunity to make something ahead of time!! What a great gift they will be πŸ™‚ I look forward to following your Monday tutorials. Keep up the great work. I am going to recommend your site to my friends. Thanks again!
    KerryPS

14. Lauren October 2, 2011 at 10:26 pm #

Thanks for your wonderful video tutorial πŸ™‚ I don’t have any kids but I can definitely see myself making these for friends πŸ˜€
    This is my first visit to your blog…I can’t wait to explore ^_^

15. one_plustwins November 5, 2011 at 3:14 pm #

Thanks so much for this tutorial, I found it on youtube and my girlfriend sent me the blog link πŸ™‚ We just adopted a 3 year old from Ukraine and he mouths the carts (ewwww) so I needed this!! THANK YOU!!!

16. Donna November 5, 2011 at 9:00 pm #

Thank you so much for your tutorial. My sister is having her first child and made a special request for this grocery cart cover. I never heard of this and searched the internet and found your site. It was easy with you showing me the way. Thanks again.

17. Crafty Gemini November 6, 2011 at 1:41 am #

So glad you all could put my tutorial to good use!! Congrats on the new kiddo, one_plustwins!

18. loveandbuttons November 19, 2011 at 2:39 pm #

thank you so much! you explained it so easily πŸ™‚

19. Karen January 27, 2012 at 10:21 pm #

Great tutorial! I baby sit my granddaughter. Although my daughter recieved a grocery cart cover for her baby shower. In a short time I will need one to take my granddaughter to the store with me. I also made one for a friend who baby sits her granddaughter. Your tutorial saved me some money. Thank you.

• Crafty Gemini January 30, 2012 at 1:06 am #

I’m glad you enjoyed my tutorial and that I was able to help save you some money. Thanks, Karen!

• Anna January 31, 2012 at 8:02 pm #

this is the BEST and EASIEST tutorial! Thank you so much! You are a wonderful teacher! I would like to add pockets on both sides of the inside of the cover for a drink and toys- should I sew those on before adding the elastic or can I wait and attach after? Thank you again!

• Crafty Gemini February 1, 2012 at 12:33 am #

Anna: Thanks! You can add them either way. If you do it before the elastic make sure its far away enough that it won’t interfere with the elastic. Have fun! :o)

20. Anna February 1, 2012 at 10:38 pm #

Great! I am going to try adding them afterwards so I can make sure they are in exactly the right spot. I did fabric with thick batting which was nice bc I had the material on hand but it is a little bulky for the machine- hope I dont have to hand sew the bias for the leg holes πŸ™‚

thank you again!!!

21. Samul Swan February 4, 2012 at 2:48 am #

That little ones is precious.Its really very creative..

Thanks..
    Pushchairs

22. Anonymous February 5, 2012 at 7:47 pm #

I am just learning to sew. I have 3 girls 7,5,4. I have a nephew on th way and a good friend is having twin girls. I am a working Mom but love my new hobby sewing!! You make such beautiful and easy to follow patterns, projects you make me feel like I am a pro already. You are a great teacher and thank you, thank you so much for all you do!!

makeup mom

• Crafty Gemini February 5, 2012 at 8:58 pm #

So glad to hear it! Thanks for your post… and keep on sewing! :o)

23. Anonymous February 10, 2012 at 8:51 pm #

How much more fabric would i need to make it a 2 seater cart cover?

24. Crafty Gemini February 13, 2012 at 1:41 am #

I’m not sure since Ive never made it a two seater.

25. rafij February 21, 2012 at 7:49 am #

Great idea thanks for sharing in stead of it we can purchase a baby car in a same amount of dollars.
    Shopping Cart Software Solutions

26. Mary May 26, 2012 at 11:31 pm #

I found that it’s easier to turn the cover inside out, zigzag around where your openings will be, then cut the openings. that way all your layers stay together. Love your idea of making it with fleece and no batting, much quicker.

27. Mary May 26, 2012 at 11:38 pm #

Hmm, I think the 2 seater is 45×45, and you just add leg holes on either side of the 1st set. each about 2″ apart

28. Anonymous June 1, 2012 at 10:07 am #

Thankyou so much for your tutorial on trolley covers. I’m in the process of doing mine and have to keep coming back to your vidio – you are a dammed genious. Best regards Julie B

29. Anonymous July 7, 2012 at 11:52 pm #

I bought the simplicity 2109 shopping cart cover and it was not easy btw. I found your website, went and purchased some different material and followed your directions. YOU ARE AWESOME!!!!

30. Anonymous July 20, 2012 at 2:03 pm #

You’re awesome! I love all your tutorials! BTW, you son is so cute!

31. Lidwina de Kruijff August 3, 2012 at 7:07 am #

Dear Vanessa,
    Just trying to give the first lessons on the sewing machine to my daughter in law here in Cairns (Oz) I run out of time due to the fact I have to return to Holland. BUT THANKS for your excellent lessons for beginners. There is no better teacher than you. We enjoy your examples and your lovely son !!!!

Lidwina

32. Anonymous September 3, 2012 at 8:59 am #

I made the shopping cart cover and it fit perfectly. My daughter who does not sew suggest putting some taggies for attaching small toys and then they would not get lost. It is a wonderful idea and your video made is so easy. Once again great idea. I will be making at least one more in the the near furture.

33. Cheap MLB Jerseys October 23, 2012 at 2:42 am #

Thank you to tell us so much useful information. I’m glad to read it.

34. nancy phill November 15, 2012 at 3:13 pm #

Shopping has always been part of anyone’s life – be it the highly addictive kind, or the usual need for purchasing essentials. It is an activity that encourages everyone to indulge and heed their urges. With the many things we need and want, something that would ease the shopping activity will be a very great help.

shopping cart tutorial

35. simple shopping cart November 23, 2012 at 5:51 am #

Shopping Carts help online buyers purchase their preferred products on the Internet. The shopping cart software typically enables the customers to make a list of the products or items they wish to buy and place them in a virtual cart by “adding” items to this cart.

36. accessories for the home December 10, 2012 at 2:21 am #

Easily, the publish is really the greatest on this laudable topic. I concur with your conclusions and will thirstily look forward to your future updates. Saying thanks will not just be sufficient, for the fantastic lucidity in your writing. I will instantly grab your rss feed to stay privy of any updates. Solid work and much success in your business enterprise!

37. Anonymous December 28, 2012 at 6:04 am #

We’ve been busy looking at farm house properties to buy but I’m sticking to my guns and posting a new video tutorial each Mondayswtor gold
    tor credits
    cheap swtor credits
    swtor credits
    buy swtor credits
    swtor credits for sale

38. Terry Borgard February 7, 2013 at 3:30 am #

That’s amazing, i like your article style, you really do me a favor on this issue.
    d3 gold
    runescape gold for sale
    Diablo 3 Gold
    buy Diablo 3 Gold
    cheap Diablo 3 Gold

39. Anonymous February 22, 2013 at 12:55 pm #

Will this cover fit Costco’s shopping cart?

40. Yolanda Crisostomo February 24, 2013 at 3:32 am #

This is a great gift! I Love giving shopping cart covers as gifts and always wanted to try and make it.

41. Anonymous March 11, 2013 at 9:36 am #

Hi, I cannot get into the video to see how the cart cover is made. Do you have an online pattern I can follow. This is a great gift!!

42. Lynette @ My Craft Discovery March 15, 2013 at 11:53 am #

I love your style of explaining things. I love how you eye ball a little bit, and just make it work. That’s how I do things too, so your tutorial is very easy to follow. My mom made me a cover from a pattern, but it didn’t have the belt loop holes. I will use your measurements and technique to add some before I use it for my wiggly 10 month old.

43. Philippa March 27, 2013 at 5:14 am #

I love this!! Thank you πŸ™‚ This is just what I want to make for my 8 month old.
    The Blue quilt behind you is beautiful too!!

44. steve jhon March 28, 2013 at 12:58 pm #

When We Talk About Online Business, The Shopping Cart Software Provide Best Facilities To Build An Online Store. As You Shared The Cover For Babies, You Can Get More About Online Business By Sharing:http://www.bit-cart.com/shopping-cart-hosted.html

45. Anonymous April 7, 2013 at 3:36 am #

This is great, thank you! your son is gorgeous! πŸ™‚

46. Anonymous May 17, 2013 at 12:33 am #

with little to no information on the title, fans of the studio will just have to make do. We’ll see what Blizzard has in store for its company’s future at this year’s BlizzCon.http://www.arm2teeth.com

47. Anonymous June 4, 2013 at 3:00 am #

Cheap GW2 Gold employing expertise some of may increase a number of reputable hurt around the low-health focus on, nevertheless with it frequently will certainly strain the gumption rapidly, so it will have obtaining earmarked. http://www.gw2field.com

48. Rs To Gold June 6, 2013 at 5:12 am #

Very thought-provoking articles written by the author , Write the nature of the matter and content ,Looking forward to better articles , Will always pay attention to your posts
    runescape gold
    Gold für WOW Kaufen
    Bade & Soul Gold

49. Yolanda Crisostomo June 25, 2013 at 2:19 pm #

A very good tutorial. I’ve always wanted to make one like this. I shared this on my blog with a link back here for the tutorial. Thanks! ~Yolanda~

50. Dean June 30, 2013 at 6:03 pm #

Since I can take my computer to my sewing table, I created a step by step document. Hope this okay.

51. wei liu August 27, 2013 at 2:22 am #

This is a great article, supplies the useful information for me,Nokia case thanks in this Interested can try.

52. Qiong Zhang September 16, 2013 at 3:30 am #

Today We need a set of reflected sun shades!!!Through Paris together with enjoy, Vicky
    woah! men and women colors! these shades! and also a naruto cosplay costumes attractive silhouette manufactured by clothes… i like it!Nowadays I want a number of mirrored eyeglasses!!!

53. albert candy February 3, 2014 at 5:21 am #

CarAutoCovers is best has a complete collection of Waterproof car cover, indoor Car covers and outdoor Car covers. We provide Life-time and with Assurance and Free Delivery on all Purchase. Made in U.S.A.

54. mark smith February 13, 2014 at 5:48 am #

More and more people are choosing to do the majority of their shopping online from the comfort of their own home rather than going into a physical store. Nice post about Shopping Cart. Thanks for sharing with us.Baby online store

55. claire May 5, 2015 at 6:20 am #

Hi, great tutorial, I just have one question, fabric is 45 x 42, what way do I lay the fabric before measuring leg holes.

56. Mary September 20, 2015 at 4:52 pm #

Thank you for this tutorial. I made one of these for my grandson and then my niece bought the material and asked for one for my great niece. They came out very nice. I did have one modification on the cover for Adelle, however. I sewed completely around the edge and then sewed a line for the casing leaving a two inch gap. I then turned the cover through one of the leg holes and only had a two inch seam to deal with after I ran the elastic. Easy Peasy.

57. Tracy January 17, 2016 at 6:17 am #

Hello! I just ran across your site and I love it!!! This tutorial is great and easy to follow except I am needing to make a “twin” cart cover. Do you know the modifications that would be necessary to make one of those? Thanks so much!

58. Theo June 8, 2016 at 10:47 am #

This was a great tutorial!! I am off now to make one for my grand daughter,