Simple Drawstring Bag Tutorial

It’s been a while since I posted a video tutorial on my YouTube channel.… Sorry!!
I’ve been busy teaching four law classes per semester and keeping an eye on our walking running 11 month old baby boy all day!  Oh, yea… did I mention I teach sewing & quilting classes locally and provide professional longarm quilting services?, too!
phew… I’m a busy mama.
but… I’m back!
I’ve just posted my latest FREE video tutorial!
This is a very simple drawstring bag tutorial.  All you need is a sewing machine, fabric, thread, and some ribbon. I know a lot of my followers and YouTube channel subscribers are beginners in the world of sewing and quilting so I wanted to make a tutorial for a project that is:
1) easy to make (even for a clueless beginner),
2) completely functional, and
3) has hundreds of uses!
If you’ve recently picked up sewing try your hand at this super quick and foolproof project!  Even if your cutting and stitching  aren’t exact, the bag will still turn out!
Don’t be afraid… you can do it!
Some examples of what you can use these bags for are:
-bread bags
-for lingerie/underwear
-to keep dirty clothes separate from clean clothes when traveling
-kids toys for car rides
-can be lined with vinyl and made into a wetbag
– carry utensils and plastic cups for a picnic
-reusable lunch bags
-gift bags
If you need some help choosing fabrics to use for this project, have a look HERE.
If you make one of these drawstring baggies make sure you upload it to my new Flickr group so others can see your Crafty Gemini tutorial creations!
Happy Sewing!

, , , , , , ,

19 Responses to Simple Drawstring Bag Tutorial

1. Mrs. Sassy Crafter July 27, 2010 at 8:05 pm #

as always, excellent!

• Nadine August 18, 2015 at 4:28 pm #

Thank you! For several years I have made pillowcases for at risk teenage girls via the EMBRACING PROJECT (founded by a dear friend, Esther Brown) in Las Vegas. This year I decided a cute bag would be a nice change. I plan to fill them with “need ums”. I am sure they will LOVE them, and they can be used for so many things. Right now I expect to make about 40! Luckily, as a quilter I welcome this as a great stash buster!!!
      A wonderful tutorial. Thank you so much!

2. Crafty Gemini July 27, 2010 at 8:44 pm #

Thanks! :o)

3. PBL July 28, 2010 at 10:55 am #

Great tute!

4. Carolyn October 12, 2010 at 1:50 pm #

Made 2 of these today! Thanks for the great idea!

5. Joyce V.V. July 13, 2011 at 7:52 am #

I have wanted to know how to do a double drawstring for quite awhile. I love your tutorial! If someone doesn’t have a free-arm model sewing machine, they can pull the bag pretty-side-out before sewing the hem for the drawstring. This puts you “inside” the bag while you’re sewing, and you can keep track of the bag body easier.

6. Anonymous September 10, 2011 at 8:11 am #

I’m a novice and Vanessa’s tutorials are fantastic. Very clear, easy to follow instructions. I’ve made the envelope pillow case and this bag so far. Both turned out great!

7. Anonymous November 17, 2011 at 9:03 pm #

Vanessa I made this bag today and its beautiful! Thank you so much for a great tutorial. I just had one question: the openings where the draw strings go into look raw..is there any way to finish them off?

8. Crafty Gemini November 17, 2011 at 9:05 pm #

I leave them raw because it’s one less thing for me to have to do. But if you want to finish them you can zig-zag stitch or serge them before your fold over and create the casing. Or you can create a really tiny hem as well.. also before you fold it over to create the casing. Hope that helps.

9. Anonymous January 27, 2012 at 1:12 pm #

can you make it without a machine. make with bonding iron on tape

• Crafty Gemini January 30, 2012 at 1:10 am #

You can try.. I just don’t know how permanent that method would be.

10. Kylie June 6, 2012 at 4:43 am #

I can’t wait to try this! I’m going on a trip in a few days and all the chargers will go in here instead of all over my carry on. I love watching your videos and I already made a few of your things 🙂

11. Anonymous September 13, 2012 at 12:39 pm #

HI
    Thanks so much for the tutorial.

I have made so many of these now! I use them for everything. I use them to organize my measuring spoons and cups. To give away tomatoes and cucs from the garden as gift bags, etc. etc etc
    Thanks a lot.

I love it!

12. Kat Biggie May 29, 2013 at 6:44 pm #

Thank you so much for this tutorial!

13. LaStitches August 4, 2013 at 4:38 pm #

I made your drawstring bag today. I made mine big enough for an American Girl doll to fit in and out of the same fabrics as the school uniform that the little girl who owns the doll wears to school. I also added a front pocket with a chenille panda bear appliqued to it. (That’s their school mascot.)It really turned out nice. Thanks so much for the video on YouTube showing me how to make this!

14. Elizabeth J. Neal August 15, 2013 at 1:36 am #

The day you posted this, I came a cross my mini-bag/pocket made during the workshop at Haystack and thought “Hmmm, I wonder if I can remember how to make this?” and then poof, just like that, the remembering was all done for me. With pictures even. 🙂 hehe Thank you India! customized carrier bags

15. Anonymous October 19, 2013 at 1:57 am #

Found you via a google search. Perfect! just what I needed. Thank you very much!

16. Anonymous November 29, 2013 at 1:52 pm #

I can not get the video to show on here or on youtube 🙁

1. July: Quilting Without Marking | Peninsula Modern Quilt Guild - January 30, 2016

[…] sewing supplies and supplies for your charity projects. We will be finishing the Portfolios and Cinch Sacks for the women’s shelter. Each member is asked to please make one of each. We will also be […]