Black & White Quilt Along- Block 2

Here is block #2!
An hourglass block I designed just for this Black & White block swap.
 This one is really easy so let’s check out how to make it….
 What you will need to make one block:
{choose two fabrics, 1 mainly black and 1 mainly white}
Cut your fabrics as shown here:
Now, take the two bigger blocks (4 7/8″ x 4 7/8″) and lay them together with pretty sides touching:
Pin one side to secure fabrics in place.  Place ruler on a diagonal and draw a line from corner to corner with a pencil (or other fabric marker.)
Go to your sewing machine and stitch a straight line 1/4″ to the left AND right of the pencil line.
Place your ruler back on your pencil line and slice right down that line with your rotary cutter.
Now you have 2 half square triangle units.  Press them open and cut off your dog ears, please.
{dog ears are circled in picture below}
Almost done…. now layout all your squares and half square triangle units in this pattern:
Stitch together in rows first, then attach the rows and ta-dah! You’re done! Congrats!
stay tuned for Block #3!
Comment and let me know if you are following along!

, ,

10 Responses to Black & White Quilt Along- Block 2

1. isa & marta June 4, 2010 at 12:42 pm #

H ola pase a saludar y contarte que estoy llevando los bloques para coser mas adelante con mis vecinas de la biblio, pero por ahora no tengo posibilidades de hacerlo.
    Quiero agradecerte las explicaciones, las fotos , todo es super claro, con mucha facilidad de comprenderlo. Un abrazo.

H wave passing to say hello and tell you that I am carrying the blocks to sew later with my neighbors in the library, but now I have no chance of doing so.
    I want to thank the explanations, photos, everything is super clear, very easy to understand. A hug.

2. Phiphi June 5, 2010 at 1:55 am #

I’m in..:) have a great weekends

3. SandyQuilts June 9, 2010 at 1:16 pm #

Love black and white. If you did your half square blocks in the grid fashion you’ll save yourself alot of work. JMO

4. rachelle pare October 26, 2012 at 3:52 pm #

im following can’t wait for the next one

5. Anonymous January 8, 2013 at 10:24 am #

I just found this is there a way to get block one please.

6. Anonymous January 9, 2013 at 10:52 pm #

I like block #2,how can I get block #1

• Vanessa Wilson January 10, 2013 at 10:28 am #

Click on the tab at the top of this page for tutorial and you’ll see all 5 block links there.

7. Shirley August 16, 2013 at 9:32 am #

Woulfd love to see a quilt made with these great blocks. Love block #2. Can you please show the quilt.

8. Beverly December 21, 2014 at 6:18 am #

Love this black and white block. Was looking for block 1 & 3 and I do not have a tab to click on. And someone one said you’d save yourself time if you did the half squares in grid fashion. What is that?

1. Picnic Quilt - Crafty Gemini - December 1, 2014

[…] still working on the Queen sized quilt I was commissioned to make… ah!! I have 400 of the 480 half-square triangle blocks finished and have pieced two strips for each block.  I’m almost there!  And […]