How To Use A Sewing Machine & Fabric Cutting Basics

I’ve decided to put some of my high school television production skills to good use and post some FREE video tutorials for beginning sewists. If you are interested in subscribing to my YouTube channel just check me out here.

Here are a few videos I have posted so far. I hope you enjoy! and please stay tuned for many, MANY more!

26 Responses to How To Use A Sewing Machine & Fabric Cutting Basics

1. Anonymous March 31, 2010 at 12:05 pm #

As a beginner I found these videos’ very helpful, particularly the cutting fabric one. Thanks

• Marilyn Kolako October 14, 2015 at 6:10 pm #

Very helpful, where can I get a bobbin case from, and about how much do they cost.?

2. Anonymous April 17, 2010 at 10:40 am #

For me, this was so very easy to understand and to follow. Thanks

3. Ruri Indra June 16, 2010 at 3:15 am #

Thanks for the tutorials.. 🙂

4. Anonymous July 8, 2010 at 12:51 pm #

Great tutorial for setting up your threads. I previously found it very complicated – I prefer to see by demnostration than to read a wordy manual.

Thanks for this

5. Crafty Gemini July 8, 2010 at 12:52 pm #

you’re welcome! :o)

6. Anonymous July 19, 2010 at 10:46 am #

Hi Vanessa,
    I’m a total beginner, and a very difficult one! I found your vidoes extremely useful and easy to understand.
    Thank you so much for sharing your videos.
    🙂

7. Anonymous July 19, 2010 at 10:35 pm #

Thanks for these videos, they really helped to understand how to do these actions correctly. THANK YOU!

8. Anonymous August 7, 2010 at 3:19 pm #

OMGosh your videos are great, wish more people were as clear as you.
    Reta

9. Anonymous September 30, 2010 at 9:30 pm #

Vanessa,

Your tutorials are right on! I haven’t sewn for almost 20 years and when I did it was just little crafty things. I am now in the process of making a pillowcase dress for my neice with a Halloween theme and your tutorials have helped me more than any tutorial I have find online, period! I didn’t know anything about bias tape or how to use it and the french seams until I found you! You are very detailed at explaining the instructions that it’s almost impossible to mess up. THANK YOU for what you do! You are a VERY TALLENTED person!!

I have saved you Crafty Gemini site and the You Tube sites for furture reference.

Sincerely,
    Angela

10. gowmukhi December 24, 2010 at 3:48 pm #

Vanessa, where can I get these tools like rotary cutter, mats, rulers ?
    I live in Greece so I would like to know about an online shop.

11. Anonymous January 12, 2011 at 8:01 pm #

Hey girl!

I finally have a sewing machine and am so excited to start learning. Naturally, this was the first place I came to. These tutorials are so easy to understand! You never cease to amaze me! I am not sure what my first project will be yet, but I will keep you posted on my progress! Hope all is well.

Hugs from Austin!
    Molly

12. Anonymous February 18, 2011 at 8:48 pm #

Where other’s fail, things go so much smoother following your detailed-video tutorials. Thanks so much for sharing; I know how to use my machine now! So I’m off to work on my technique, closely watching and following your posted projects.

You’re the BEST!

Some Random Guy…. 🙂

13. Anonymous July 21, 2011 at 12:40 pm #

I’m taking a beginner’s sewing class, and she failed to go over cutting basics. So I find myself going to class and then coming home to watch your videos. I’m so glad they are out there.

From: Sew Trying to Sew in Nashville

14. Anonymous August 30, 2011 at 2:34 am #

Very nice sewing tutorial. I can easily comprehend.
    I will go through with these lesson everyday.
    I really wanted to sew.

thank you so much!

15. Anonymous September 10, 2011 at 5:30 pm #

Thank you for posting tutorials. I find your sewing tutorials tremendously helpful. I found you on YouTube and I subscribed.

16. Anonymous October 3, 2011 at 6:30 pm #

Wow fantastic. I’ve been trying to learn to sew for years, people are either too slow (and I get bored or frustrated) or don’t give the information I need. Your videos are quick and give me everything I need to know! Thank you!!

17. HollyJ The MakeUp Artist October 6, 2011 at 11:49 am #

Vanessa, Thank you so much for your amazing Videos. I just found you from the 20/20 show. I live in a small town. Our fabric store holds classes not beginner classes. Which upsets me so much seeing that I am a total beginner. Thank you Thank you Thank you. Your tutorials are amazing. You make it so easy to learn.
    HollyJ

18. Anonymous October 21, 2011 at 12:54 pm #

WOW….WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL THIS TIME? Vanessa, your videos are so easy to undrstand. I have been trying to learn my sewing machine and neede a good guide to follow. Trust me when I say you are blessing just found! Thank you so much for your very detailed tutorials. I am going to enjoy watching your work and working on the projects at home too.

19. Anonymous February 7, 2012 at 3:51 pm #

Wow, thanks so much, God Bless you and your family x

20. Anonymous June 8, 2012 at 9:08 am #

very helpful videos..continue to post!..thank you

21. Someone Like You October 21, 2012 at 10:52 pm #

So how do I tell the difference between the bias and straight/grain edge? I can’t quite figure this out!

Thanks!!!

22. Anonymous February 10, 2013 at 6:10 am #

hey this is so cool, I find so much helpful information to this I thought I already knew, Thanks so much!!

23. faiza February 27, 2013 at 9:03 am #

which sewing machine is nice for beginners,pls anybody can help me?

24. Anonymous July 13, 2013 at 8:46 pm #

I am a beginner, can someone tell me why in the world does the tread gets caught up in chunks underneath the fabric when I’m trying to make just a simple stich? Is it my fault or the machines’ fault. Please advise.

25. Anne September 8, 2013 at 9:39 pm #

Thank you so much Vanessa! I was really needing help learning to sew and your tutorials have been so amazing, and really accelerated my learning.

Also, you have a great way about you, and a beautiful family.

So appreciate your incredible creative spirit and very useful tips!

Aloha from Maui!! 🙂